Misting

proudgm_03(6 MO)October 6, 2007

I have read posts about misting with a vinegar water mixture to prevent damping off. Does this really help and what is the percentage to mix?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Vinegar is a HERBICIDE it can kill plants ( I use it all the time to kill dandelions). You may best prevent damping off by keeping damp not wet. allow for good air circulation around the plant. allw for adequate light. starting with steril soil & fungal free seed.

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 10:07AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Quote:I have read posts about misting with a vinegar water mixture to prevent damping off.

I have seen this question before. Where did you read this? It sounds like we've a troll or something. As georgez5il implies, it makes no sense at all.

Bookmark   October 7, 2007 at 11:13AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It makes all kinds of sense, as long as you understand that it's all about dilution rates. Mixing about a tablespoon of household vinegar to a gallon of water will create a misting solution that is inhospitable to damping off and other disorders. Without damaging plant foliage. The use of vinegar at this dilution rate is an excellent way of reducing the pH of water for watering and mixing pesticides, as well.

However, damping off is relatively easy to prevent by paying special attention to the seeding and seedling environment and the germination medium. Plenty of good air circulation is essential, I think. Just as much as a fast draining medium.

Bookmark   October 7, 2007 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Grafting methods
It's getting to be that time of year again and many...
clarkinks
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™