overcome by bamboo and explosive mines

Clare(z6 MO)February 27, 2004

Some problems are tougher than others. See in the Bamboo forum a post regarding locating and removing mines which have been overgrown by bamboo.

Here is a link that might be useful: mineclearance and bamboo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cady(6b/Sunset34 MA)

Hey! I was in that thread! Now you know about my secret life as a bamboo addict.

That chap does have a challenging job, and I hope he accomplishes his task without incident. Fortunately, the armored equipment they use lets them contain any explosions, but I still wonder whether they will be able to extract every mine before villagers attempt to cultivate the land.

Maybe we should offer those Cambodian villagers a complete garden restoration once the mines and bamboo have been taken out.

Bookmark   February 27, 2004 at 10:23PM
mjsee(Zone 7b, NC)

wow. amazing thread. Did anyone hear the story on NPR (don't remeber which show) about the plants someone has developed that change color when they are growing over a mine? I can't find the audio--but did find this story via google. Pretty cool....

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: land-mine detecting plants

Bookmark   February 28, 2004 at 12:49PM
wildbillgt(Z8 WA ST)

What are you talking about Cady?? now we at the boo forum know that you are a Garden restoration addict!! Boy, wait till I tell everyone..... :) I need to get out of the boo forum, this looks like a nice one..

Bookmark   February 28, 2004 at 3:25PM
Cady(6b/Sunset34 MA)

Melanie,
I heard that story on NPR a couple months ago, and mentioned it to the person who posted the mine removal thread on the Bamboo forum. He is familiar with the plant - developed by a Dutch company. His concern was that it might not grow in the area he needs to de-mine. Also, the time involved growing it is too much - he says that the farmers are already moving onto the land to farm it.

Nandina made a good suggestion to him on the 'Boo forum -- to talk with the horticulturists at the agricultural field station in Savannah, GA, where many species of bamboo are grown, and also where there is a quarantine station for imported bamboo.

Bookmark   February 28, 2004 at 6:12PM
Cady(6b/Sunset34 MA)

Good to see you here, WildBill. Another bamboo addict who's also a garden restoration/history fanatic. You and Spectre should get to know each other. You'll click.

Bookmark   February 28, 2004 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
Clay Problem
Hi Everybody Newby and desperate for a solution to...
richard92
Time to re-examine the front borders
Zone 6, nj, northern exposure, strong afternoon sun. Overview:...
tfitz1006
Rehabing an old lavarock and plastic sheeting landscaping nightma
I have an old landscaping bed in front of the house...
suestith
Dogscaping
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have not been able to...
daydreambeliever
A landscape story
Chapter I - Daughter and family were transfered to...
nandina
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™