Transplanting raspberries

godsgreenearth_farmsOctober 27, 2013

Hello all! I transplanted some raspberry yesterday. It's a bit later than I wanted it to be but, alas here we are. I used some humic acid and mild fish fert to try and encourage root growth ASAP. we have been getting pretty good frosts here and I'm a bit worried about them taking root. Any input on what should expect? Death? :)

Also I mulched them pretty heavy and covered them with buckets, totes, etc. In order to keep some warmth in there. Do I need to remove the buckets during the day? And replace in the evening?

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
godsgreenearth_farms

FYI if anyone does want to post an answer/help:
I went ahead and removed the buckets today as it's 50 degrees + and sunny. The plants have little to no foliage but I think the sun will hopefully help the roots in establishing. Gonna put buckets back before night fall. Try to trap some of that heat.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:28PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

If you got a decent amount of root mass, I don't understand your concern. As long as your ground isn't frozen down at root level, the plants will be able to get moisture and shouldn't have a problem. With 50-degree days, root growth can still occur and establishment can begin. If you feel the buckets are helping, do make sure to take them off during the daytime. I can see the buckets possibly causing more problems than they help. The mulch was a good idea!

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 3:47PM
godsgreenearth_farms

@ brandon7:thank you for your response. We definitely don't have deep down root zone freezing going on yet but we have had several hard frosts this week which is why I used the buckets. Maybe not a necessary. Glad I took em off today. I'll keep em off during the day and replace to try to keep some frost protection for the canes and possibly slightly higher root zone temp.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 5:30PM
godsgreenearth_farms

@ brandon7:thank you for your response. We definitely don't have deep down root zone freezing going on yet but we have had several hard frosts this week which is why I used the buckets. Maybe not a necessary. Glad I took em off today. I'll keep em off during the day and replace to try to keep some frost protection for the canes and possibly slightly higher root zone temp.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
Grafting methods
It's getting to be that time of year again and many...
clarkinks
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™