propagation of roses

Lorna1949October 28, 2013

it is that time of year to cut down my roses how can I propagate them ? would love to have more

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Probably your best bet would be to read through the FAQ section of the Rose Propagation & Exchange Forum. There are differences in types of roses and a significant amount of info to cover. If you still have questions, please ask specifically and we can cover those questions. You might also skim through some of the threads in that forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Propagation & Exchange Forum FAQ Page

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 10:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

For generally propagating anything, and if/when you're going to cut them anyway, you can stick the pieces (in the same direction they were growing) as deeply as possible in the soil, either where you want new plants, or in a place where you can move them easily when needed.

If any of the branches you intend to cut will bend to the ground without breaking, ground layering also usually works. You would lay a rock or brick on the branch to hold it in contact with the soil (removing any grass or leaves in the way.)

I usually do both of these (for about any kind of plant) in the spring but if you're going to trim now anyway, it would be pretty easy to attempt. Those in a similar climate would be best to advise about the possibility of success over winter of propagating roses in particular with these methods. I've gardened in OH, but that's nowhere near as cold as Canada (most winters!)

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™