Should I put my Viburnum cutting outside for the winter?

lyndapaz(6)October 23, 2013

I lost my beautiful, fragrant, deciduous viburnum to borers. My SIL had a similar plant so I took a cutting this Spring. It successfully rooted. It has grown a little in height. No new leaves. Seems happy enough in a pot on my windowsill. But I was wondering if it needs to be outside for the winter and drop its leaves. It is still quite small (about 4 inches tall) so I'm not sure it would survive a deep freeze since it has been inside all this time. Can anyone tell me whether it should go outside or spend the winter in the house and plant in the spring?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I would definitely move it outside. You could always provide a little protection from the cold. An unheated building is one way to do it, but you could also make a covering out of breathable material (burlap, the straw mats sometimes used for planting grass, etc).

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 8:22PM
lyndapaz(6)

Thanks, Brandon. Tonight is the first night that they are predicting a moderate freeze. And we have had no frost warnings before this. It has been an unusually warm October until now. I think I'll wait until it warms up a bit (I'm sure we will have a few more warm days) and then move it out so it won't be too much of a shock. Do you think I should keep it in the pot or plant it in the ground? Not enough light in my shed to keep it in there through the winter.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 9:16PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I think you're right about waiting. A few cool nights would be better than a sudden cold night.

The shed would be used after the weather starts turning cool (and the viburnum has dropped it's leaves). No light would be needed.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 10:40PM
lyndapaz(6)

Great! Thanks for the advice. Hope it's roots are strong and it survives through the winter.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 11:19PM
charlieboring

Viburnum are generally cold hardy and it will probably only be a question of whether the roots freeze. If I were you I would move it outside and mulch it well. For a couple of weeks untill the roots are well established you should keep it moinst an cover it at night.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 7:41AM
lyndapaz(6)

Thanks, Charlie. I think putting it in the ground will be better protection for the roots than keeping it in the little pot. I can pile leaves on it to try to keep it warm. It's so tiny though that I really worry that it is too small to be outside, but then obviously keeping it indoors is not natural for it. We don't have another freeze warning for the next week so right now I have it on my deck. Do you think I should plant it asap?

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™