Rooting grapevine cuttings

svanessa(9/SoCal)October 20, 2007

I took several cuttings in early Sept from a couple grapevines on my grandparentÂs old ranch in Sacramento, CA. The property is soon to be cleared for development so I had no choice but to take what I could at this time.

I've had them in damp newspaper, bagged and in the refer since coming home. I took them out today to see if they were still viable and they are. Mold was starting to grow so IÂve cleaned them with a toothbrush and a 10% bleach solution. I've never rooted grape cuttings before and donÂt want to chance loosing these. I live in San Diego County in the backcountry. No soil to speak of, more sandstone than anything, so burying the twigs as I've read is not doable.

I was thinking of using a garbage can and filling it with vermiculite and burying the twigs upside down in this. We get very little cold weather maybe 4-7 days below freezing and very little rain either. Should I keep the vermiculite damp thru the winter? Should I keep the twigs in the refer until winter cold sets in, Dec/Jan?

Are there any experts here that can comment on this strategy or may have a better idea?

Thanks, Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

1`. A cold period is not required for grapes to root.
2. I would find (recycle) 1 gal plastic containers... use a well drained soil mix OR if you must equal parts vermiculite & perlite. I would bury 1 or 2 nodes & have 1 node above the ground. I would bury the twigs RIGHT SIDE UP....... otherwise it will not root. The cuttings will callace first & then form roots this will procede dependent of soil temp with rooting forming after soil temp reaches 40-50F

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 10:42AM
svanessa(9/SoCal)

Thanks George,

As to the stems themselves, I've cut straight across the stem just below 1 node and have cut at an angle about 1/2"-1" above the 3rd or 4th node. Is this cutting method correct?

I only have vermiculite but will run down to the nursery and get some perlite. What does the addition of perlite add that 100% vermiculite lacks?

Thanks,
Sue

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 11:16AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Very old agricultural textbooks, 60 years ago, said bury them upside down over the winter. Beyond that I've nothing to add.

Bookmark   October 21, 2007 at 1:20PM
calistoga_al

Straight vermiculite packs too much and does not allow enough oxygen to the root area. You want the mix damp, not wet, Perlite will help drainage and oxygen content. Al

Bookmark   October 22, 2007 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Grafting methods
It's getting to be that time of year again and many...
clarkinks
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™