micropropagation

springlongOctober 30, 2006

hey

forgive my geekiness but...

Does anyone here have any experience with plant micropropagation? i.e. propagation via tissue isolation -> sterile culture. I have a setup/background knowledge that could be adapted to doing it and was hoping to be recommended some books on the subject, and also to hear about other gardeners' attempts.

cheers!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

I've done it for raising orchid seeds, and for clonal propagation of daylilies. A lot of it depends on getting the right concentrations of auxins and cytokinens, and of course, keeping it all sterile. Except for the orchid seed, which are a special case, it's generally not worth the trouble unless the plant is impossible via cuttings, ofsets, or grafts, or else you want a few thousand of them.

George

Bookmark   November 2, 2006 at 10:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Plants from Test Tubes: An Introduction to Micropropagation (Hardcover) was avaible at Amazon Used Books a few minutest ago for $16.54 - it was once the classic beginners book.

A once popular Australian site is linked below. This is one of the sites that recommend the baby food jars which were quite popular a few years ago. I much preferred this over test tubes.

Here is a link that might be useful: une.edu.au Horticultural Science Group

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Grafting methods
It's getting to be that time of year again and many...
clarkinks
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™