Strawberry Plant Cuttings

jmcst25October 28, 2006

Can you get stawberry plant to root from cuttings? If so - any advise? I belive I have ozark strawberry.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

"cuttings" will not work. The plant will form "pups" or plantlets which will root (with out assistance)& produce new plants

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 5:00PM
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

Strawberry plants send out long string-like runners and these form new plantlets at every node if they find favorable ground. Some of my floral strawberry plants will send these out over 5 feet away from the mother plant. You can often get 50-100 baby plants a season.

George

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 9:15PM
jmcst25

Sorry for the seeking clarification - new to this.

In other words -- I should just look for new plants to appear in near the original plants? Should I cut the new plants and move them to where I want or should I take cutting of roots to get started?

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 9:30PM
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

Just watch them. When you see these long runners forming steer them toward open soil, and when they start to form leaves at the nodes, make sure they get contact with the soil at that node to root. The runner will continue to grow longer and nodes further from the mother will start the process. They will make several plants you can move to desired locations. Just be sure to let them get well rooted.

George

Bookmark   November 4, 2006 at 9:52AM
maineman(z5a ME)

Jmcst25,

You can get some idea of what to look for at this link. The strawberry plants send out long runners and the new plants appear along those runners.

MM

Bookmark   November 5, 2006 at 12:43PM
ikllc

I love strawberry plants, partly because they are so prolific when it comes to putting off runner plants. From what I understand, you can split the crowns, guide the runner plants, or plant seeds to propagate strawberries (but the growing from seed isn't reliable). The website www.StrawberryPlants.org has a lot of stuff related to this. Two pertinent posts:

Strawberry Runners

Strawberry Propagation

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 10:29PM
calistoga_al

The runners would be just as happy growing in pots if you want to move them to a new site or give them away. Al

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™