Normal growth size?

CaliforniaGrowingAugust 15, 2014

Hello! This is my first year for growing peppers and got a really late start. I had a question for everyone , I know certain varieties take longer that other but I had to ask. This is one of my peppers that I germinated using the paper towel method , i put this guy in soil on 7-19-14 right after germination had occured and is little under 2 inches tall. Is this about the average size for that amount of time or is it stunted? Thank you all for your time and information.

Richard

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Richard, Probably it is normal. Then it depends on the variety too.
What are you growing ?

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 8:24AM
Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9

I agree with seysonn, depends on the variety.

Also for me, the paper towel method seemed to set growth back nearly a week. It takes an additional few days for them to surface once transferring to the potting mix. Time wasted, imo.

I sow in Jiffy pellets instead with a heating pad (actually a small electric blanket) underneath the tray. Once they sprout in the pellets I carefully cut the fabric away and set the pellet into solo cups filled with the same potting mix they will grow in.

Then set them under a florescent light set an inch above the plants and with a fan blowing in the general direction from a few feet away.

Works for me!

This post was edited by mecdave on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 8:43

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 8:41AM
CaliforniaGrowing

Seysonn I believe it is jalapeño , mecdave I agree about the paper towel method but unfortunately I do not have the space to keep my seedlings in doors under lights , but I would like to try it one day. It sounds like they do very well with those conditions.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 5:57PM
More Discussions
Do Habs take longer to germinate?
I've only had one Hab germinate after 2 weeks and almost...
ozzy2001
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
Effect of Temperatures, Day Length, Rain/Moist'r on . Peppers.
Title speaks for itself, to some extent. But let's...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™