Getting rid of unwanted tree and shrub seedlings?

dannieroseMarch 25, 2014

I guess this would be where to post this lol

So, I've lived in my house for about 20 years but have never really been interested in gardening until now. My house actually has three 13 foot flowerbeds, but they have been really uncared for and were overgrown with random plants for the most part. I've revived two of them and they're fine now, but this last one is giving me a headache and a backache lol It has tons and tons and tons of I guess tree and shrub seedlings growing in it. I've cut them back as much as I can, but I'm having difficulty removing the roots because they're so...well-rooted lol My first thought was to get some herbicide (that word just sounds so violent lol) since I've tried to pull them out by hand which didn't work for the most part. But I'm concerned about using that because I'm afraid that maybe some of the herbicide would be left over and kill the flowers that I'm going to eventually plant in it. Also, there is an azalea plant in the flowerbed that I definitely do not want to kill and I'm afraid the herbicide will get to it.
So if anyone has any suggestions or advice on how to get rid of these seedlings I would really, really appreciate it. Thanks! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Farsided(3)

if you continue to cut off the tree growth at ground level it will eventually die.

Otherwise, sheet mulch the area.

Seeds germinate only if their particular germination conditions are met.

Disturbed ground is often a germination condition, and sheet mulching covers bare soil just like a mature forest floor.

Pioneer plants (weeds and woody shrubs) indicate other things too. Different species grow for different reasons and knowing exactly what is growing tells you a lot about your soil.

Deep tap roots for instance indicate a compacted soil low in organic matter (possibly from tilling and applications of nitrogen).

By fixing your soil, the germination conditions for that species will no longer be met and the weed just goes away.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 1:15PM
More Discussions
Overgrown Garden- tips or hints?
We recently decided to tackle a 40x100 ft section of...
Bemhawk83
LARGE overgrown garden... what and when and how?
I saw a few posts similar to mine... bought a house,...
ScarlettAnne
What is the slope requirement for back yard?
I have a small backyard that recently adding a patio....
steven219
renovate or decimate my garden
i am just awakened from a Lipitor coma and am energized...
ricard0
A landscape story
Chapter I - Daughter and family were transfered to...
nandina
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™