Brown Spots on Leaves

tking268September 25, 2012

Good Morning,

I transplanted this plumeria at the beginning of September, 2012 using a cactus type of potting soil recommended from the local nursery. The plant had definitely outgrown the previous container.

The plant was given to me this past September from a friend who lives near the coast in Del Mar. I'm sure there was/is some shock from both the transplant and the higher temperatures in Poway.

I'm concerned about the brown spots on the leaves. It is getting regular water, the soil is kept at the consistency of damp coffee grounds.

Are the leaves just preparing to drop - or do I have other problems?

Please help.

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Looks like sunburn from higher temps to me.

I had one on my deck most of the summer which got part sun. I moved it to the back of the yard into full sun (so we could get siding put on the house and have the deck cleaned off). Just in that little move it sunburned some of the leaves. Go figure.

I think sometimes they will even sunburn if the plant is sitting in one orientation and then you rotate it! Maybe certain leaf surfaces aren't used to the full brunt of the sun. Don't know.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 1:58PM
elucas101(8)

Hi tking - your other leaves on that plant look really good so I agree with Dave to think topical burn at this point. When your leaves are are ready to drop naturally they will usually be the bottom ones first, and fade to a yellow like that one in the back left there.

Check for anything too reflective (even white walls or plastic can do it sometimes) near the plant too. Even water left on the leaves, fertilizer or touching a hot item could do it. Your burns look almost scorched, very concentrated in those spots.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 2:13PM
No-Clue(So Cal Zone 9)

Yep almost every single one of my plants are sun burnt as well. Mine look much much worse though thanks to the high temps and the insane heat bouncing off my patio walls.

I hope all this foliage damage won't hurt my plants in the long run! Hopefully the weather will start to cool down soon.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 7:08PM
DelWH

Plumies don't like wet roots so if you keep the soil like damp coffee grounds, they may be too wet. Perhaps let it dry out a bit between waterings.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 7:31PM
tdogdad(Zone 9)

it is fall. Soon the leaves will fall. Don't worry about your leaves in the fall as they are pretty much finished.
the leaves are burned from probably reflected or radiating heat from a wall or the plants were in a greenhouse and are burned by moving to a drier, sunnier spot. They should adjust for next year.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 7:58PM
tking268

Thanks to everyone for the prompt replies. I appreciate everyone's help.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 11:18AM
beachplant(9b)

let that baby dry out! I treat mine like the cactus, as a matter of fact some of them grow in the same bed.

Sunburned leaves aren`t a long-term problem, the plant will just drop them. I have gotten sunburned leaves when moving the plant from a grower to the back deck where they are in more sun.

Tally HO!

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 5:24PM
More Discussions
question about waxing cuttings
do i have to wait for them to harden off like normal...
kingbingo
Easy bloomers
What are the easiest plants to get to bloom easily?...
tamela_star
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
help with 4ft spindly plumeria
I would like to cut the top 21/2 ft and root that with...
deejvue
Back from the dead.
I'm back. After giving up on this site, they contacted...
tdogdad
Sponsored Products
Cindi Soumak Rug 6' x 9' - BROWN PATTERN
$1,599.00 | Horchow
Alamo Saddlery Brown Gator Inlay 3F Concho Spur Straps - 388-GB(3F)
$47.99 | Hayneedle
Kona Brown Vintage Cotton Velvet Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 84
$100.95 | Bellacor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Adana Brown/Blue 5 ft.
Home Depot
Homelegance Cumberland 7 Drawer Dresser in Medium Brown
Beyond Stores
Swing One Suspension
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™