Best Way to Propagate Holly Cuttings?

redthreaddiy(6a MI)October 14, 2010

I'd like to root it in a jar of water - but I don't see anything online that supports it!

I took both thick and thin branch cuttings.

If I have to plant them with rooting hormone, I will - but it's just so much more easier to stick them in water and let them go!

Thanks! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

no luck rooting in water... take a tip cutting apply 0.1 to 0.3 % IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist taking 40-80 days to root.... bottom heat helps.

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 8:26PM
redthreaddiy(6a MI)

I saw this article. Does this actually work? http://www.gardenguides.com/80624-make-cutting-holly-plant.html

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 11:54AM
Gatherer

My wife seen an article about growing holly cuttings. She has always loved holly but she would rather grow them her self rather then purchase a full grown plant. She has great luck saving almost dead plant and does great at growing from seeds as well. My line of work takes me to many areas of town and in some cases out of state but in our sane zone. We really don't have much of a winter here but it has it moments. I recently started gathering seeds and seed pods in the area and I have see about 10 to 15 different varieties of holly. Doing research on how to tell them apart get a bit rough at times but from what I can tell the best way is by the shape of the leaves. I have collected only about 3 different varieties so far and the time for gathering them is almost over I think. The more rare varieties around didn't have berries. I'm not sure what gender they are. I didn't see them bloom.
My question is. If I gather cutting from these plants in spring while I'm at work and keep them in water what are the chances they would they still be sufficient for propagating from??

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 4:00AM
Gatherer

I was mostly wondering if the cuttings would still be ok to plant if I collect them at work and kept them in water til I got home. It would probably be a few hours, and would warm or cooler water be best?

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 10:07AM
timgoodin(W KY z6)

Gatherer: I would think as long as you keep them hydrated and cool they would be fine. I have collected cuttings while on trips and put them in water in a ziplock and rooted them when I returned home.

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Sponsored Products
Glossy Round Table by Kartell
$2,150.00 | Lumens
Large Gem Photo Frame
| Dot & Bo
Joy Carpets Reach Across the World Kids Area Rug - 1546-C
$239.99 | Hayneedle
Lakeland Sofa - DK. TURQUOISE
$7,199.00 | Horchow
George Kovacs | Layover 2-Light Flush Mount
$230.00 | YLighting