Root Hormone Product Suggestions?

garret_87(Zone 6)October 10, 2013

I want to take some softwood cuttings from my meyer lemon, but I don't know where to find safe and affordable rooting hormone. At my local hyrdoponic store it cost way too much and I didn't see any at lowes. Any suggestions? I will want to eventually eat the lemons from these cuttings - are there safe brands? A few months ago i got a small jar of RootTech and it had a warning in small print not to use on food plants. I was disappointed in the marketing because ther amazon ad said noting about not using it on food plants.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52_gw

The majority of off-the-shelf rooting compounds have Indole-3-Butyric Acid (IBA) as the active ingredient.

And they all say not to use it on edible plants.

However, I'd swear that I read somewhere that the table grape growers use the stuff to spray their grapes to get them up to the size of those enormous, tasteless ones in the grocery stores - but I can't anything right now online.

But personally, using the minute amounts of the chemical that you'd use on a cutting, and then later on eating a lemon from the cloned tree, I wouldn't worry about it. I've used it to clone pepper plants and French Tarragon.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 11:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Campanula UK Z8

You could always try using willow water - simply cut a handful of willow stems into 2 inch lengths (any will do but the shrubby osiers such as viminalis, S.purpurea or S.daphnoides are easy), soak for 24 hours in water and dip the cuttings in the liquid - it contains salicylic acid - one of the active ingredients in aspirin.

I like Olivias - not the cheapest but, if stored in a fridge, it will last for months and months.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 6:50PM
More Discussions
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™