Inexpensivce Seed Heating Mat

rain2fall(8/Oregon)October 3, 2009

I'd like to buy a seed mat. Online, I find prices of $20 to $45 for a small one, 9x19 inches. That doesn't include the thermostat. Is there a less-expensive source?

Rain2Fall

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

You can find one with the thermostat built in set at about 70 degrees. Buying a separate thermo will double the price, and for most gardeners an adjustable temperature is not required. Al

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 9:09AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Many of us have used heating pads for sore back muscles. There was a time when one could get them quite inexpensively at thrift stores. There are Gardenweb threads here: heating mats and others can be found.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 11:44AM
chadinlg

I think that the soil heating cables are just as effective, but cheaper than the heating mats for larger areas.

For several years I have used a heating cable attached to a sheet of plywood (to hold it in place - cable ties through holes in the plywood) covered with a vinyl sheet (to keep the wood dry). The plywood acts as an insulator as well.

Chad

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 12:07PM
rain2fall(8/Oregon)

I like the heating cable idea, Chad. Did you have to buy a thermostat with them?

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 2:33PM
calistoga_al

I made a heating plate 3 feet by 6 feet using a 300 watt heating cable used for keeping rain gutters from freezing. I used a one half inch foam core which I covered with fiberglass enclosing the cable in the fiberglass. The foam acts as a heat insulator under the cable. A ten gauge aluminum plate was purchased from a metal salvage company and laid on top of the cable. An adjustable thermostat with a bulb type sensor was mounted on the plate. It has worked perfectly for over ten years. Al

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 9:49AM
chadinlg

My heating cable has a built in thermostat in the middle of the cable, I think that most of the budget ones are this way.

In my case I am not using it that way. I have the cable controlled by a separate thermostat set to turn ON when temps go below 45 degrees. I am using the cable to insure that a small section of my greenhouse is safe for overwintering starts of coleus etc.

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 4:00PM
calistoga_al

The heating cable like chad describes is available from many locations. The longest one is about 180 watts and is good for about a four foot by four foot area with the builtin thermostat set for about 70 degrees. When I used this type cable I used 1/4 inch hardware cloth which I tied the cable to. If the cable is allowed to cross its self it will over heat at that point and burn out. I first tried covering the cable with damp sand and setting my pots on it. This only worked as long as the sand remained damp,not long. Then I used about a 20 gauge aluminum sheet directly on the hardware cloth and cable. This worked well for several years until I needed more room. I left it plugged in 24/7 as it only heated when the temperature dropped below 70 degrees. Al

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 9:37AM
rain2fall(8/Oregon)

By hardware cloth, do you mean window screening and its more modern substitutes?

Rain2Fall

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 11:25PM
Fleur(z5)

Have you considered shopping at thrift stores or yard sales for a waterbed heater?

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 9:02PM
More Discussions
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™