Planting spring bulbs with summer perennials

Kirs10March 15, 2013

I'm redoing an established bed in the front of my house and would like to do some spring bulbs, with perennials that would emerge later and help to disguise the bulbs foliage as it yellows. Any recommendations for mix of plants for this? Advice for installation?

I was thinking tulips or daffodils with some smaller bulbs (maybe scilla or ipheion). For perennials, I've been considering daylilies, veronica, dianthus. lavendar (I need deer resistant, though, and haven't finished researching choices- looks like both tulips and daylilies may occasionally be damaged).

For installation, do you have suggestions on how to go about this? Am also concerned about bulbs that don't last- what happens if bulbs stop blooming and I need to replant? How do I deal with that without bothering the established perennials, or do I need to dig everything up, divide the perennials as needed, and replant?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
booberry85(5)

Late to the parade, but I do think you have a good idea with tulips and daffodils followed by veronica and daylilies...In my own garden, I had critters get every last tulip bulb I planted. If you have rabbits, mice or voles the daffodils and maybe hyaciths are a better route to go. I heavily invested (for me) in daylilies and irises. The deer have not bothered them. You may ant to consider a third wave of flowers like rubeckia, daisies and echinacea, They bloom later in summer.

Dianthus, in my neck of the woods, only lasts 2-3 years. I recommend if you need to replant; things that bloom in early spring, replant in the fall. Other things do it early in spring (before bloom) or well after bloom (a few weeks after). If you dig up something by accident, just replant. A lot of what you are planning on growing is forgiving.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 12:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)

A later follow up.

When planting spring-blooming bulbs near perennials, leave lots of space. Sure, the perennials will hide the old bulb foliage, but if everything is planted too close, then you won't be able to properly dig those bulbs in 5 years.

When I do things like what you are considering, I take into account how much space anything will take in a 5-year period. Some dividing might be necessary prior to that, but that would be a minor thing. Leaving bulbs in place for more than 5 years might get you nothing but foliage.

Jim

Bookmark   August 10, 2013 at 9:02PM
More Discussions
What is the slope requirement for back yard?
I have a small backyard that recently adding a patio....
steven219
2ft garden fence
Hello. We live in Chicago and in need of a 2ft tall...
KS_Chicago
New Home, Overrun Garden
Hi, my husband I just purchased a new house, a short...
bbkuo
Clearing a sloping garden area
OK, so here is my problem. I just moved into a new...
welshieinca
Newbies need help! Garden rehabilitation
Hello! We are Claudia and Ferran, we have just moved...
Undomie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™