First Bloom for a Newbie

mcdaviesSeptember 14, 2013

To say I'm new to the hobby is an understatement. I discovered plumeria last month when I saw a display at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto. I fell in love with these beauties and did a lot of internet research. Was hesitant to try growing them up here in the Great White North given our weather is anything but tropical, but thought I'd give it a try.

Best thing that happened was hooking up with Massimo, an experienced grower in the Toronto area. Spent an evening picking his brain and adopting a few seedlings. In addition, he had a 6 year old potted tree that I took on...it hadn't bloomed as yet but looked like it might do so this year.

Given that the weather is starting to turn in Ontario, I have the plants indoors under CFL's and the seedlings on heat mats. Well...a few weeks later...success! My first plumeria bloom! Not that I can take much credit...Massimo kinda set it up on a tee for me...LOL...

Never the less, a great introduction to the hobby...hoping for a bunch more blooms over the next few weeks!

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tdogdad(Zone 9)

I am most impressed to find you Canucks successfully growing plumerias. It is an accomplishment to gain a flower so far from the tropics. Now I have to tease my friend in Thunder Bay who thought it was too far north. Congratulations. Bill

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 12:19PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hi Mark!

I agree !

Fantastic job growing up north !

There isnt a Better feeling when you push the limits and successfully have a blooming tree !

What a beautiful tree and bloom!!!

Congratulations on a job well done!!!

Take care,

Laura

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 1:37PM
No-Clue(So Cal Zone 9)

Hi there,

Awesome job! That's one gorgeous flower!

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 2:58PM
pcput

"WOW" You did it and now the addiction really begins. It's just so hard to say no to these plants. Your in good company. Congrats!
Peg

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 12:28AM
More Discussions
Waiting for spring
Most of my plants are starting to get leaves but I...
barb13_gw
My Plumeria Tree After NE Flotrida Hard Freeze .
Hello gang; This plumeria has been outside all winter...
edzone9
Need help with a sick Plumeria
Glad to have joined your site and hello from sunny...
mag107
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Plumies doing better
Hello! Just an update. My beautiful plumies are doing...
tamela_star
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™