My back yard is completely destroyed

mbklApril 21, 2013

I have a small back yard, about 25 ft. by 40 ft. There is a very large oak tree at the far end of it, so it is rather shady. I had ivy covering about one third of the yard, at the end, and the rest was patchy grass, but I was completely fine with that.

My tenant removed every scrap of ivy, so that now the yard is mostly bare dirt. I am gutted and have literally been crying. I don't know what to do. I called a landscaper and he said he can put in ivy plugs, but until they grow in I will have to be constantly weeding around them. I can't do that because I have chronic fatigue, and gardening and yard work don't interest me in any case.

The only thing I can think of to do is put down sod over most of the yard, and plant ivy around the base of the tree where grass won't grow, but I truly hate grass. The last thing I wanted was to put down a large swath of grass, which I will have to mow and which might need chemical fertilizers and weed killers, which I am not willing to use.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hamiltongardener(CAN 6a)

This may not be what you want to hear, but ivy is considered an invasive species and shouldn't be encouraged.

What about a nice mulch pathway going up to and around the tree? Perhaps a bench to sit on under the tree would be nice.

Low maintenance, attractive, and non-invasive.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
establish new sideyard with perennials I have to divide.
We bought a big lot beside us. We graded it and I do...
gudrun6b
Time to re-examine the front borders
Zone 6, nj, northern exposure, strong afternoon sun. Overview:...
tfitz1006
foundation plantings
I'm aware that the practice of using foundation plantings...
saypoint
Overwhelmed by inherited garden
I have an older established flower garden that I inherited...
belleduggan
Overgrown Garden- tips or hints?
We recently decided to tackle a 40x100 ft section of...
Bemhawk83
Sponsored Products
Mia Faux Silk Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Watson Leather Bar Stool - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Renaissance New Antique Silver Two-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Wall Sco
$812.00 | Bellacor
John Forever Print
$118.99 | Dot & Bo
New Hand Knotted Red & Ivory Kazak Runner 2x6 Hand Knotted Narrow Wool Rug H3472
BH Sun Inc
Beige Garden Stripe Rug
$11.99 | zulily
Henri Flanged Velvet Pillow - FOREST GREEN
$59.90 | Horchow
Aqua Outdoor Ottoman with Cushion, Patio Furniture
$664.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™