Wandering Jew cuttings rotting, why?

nick_b79(4/5 Southeast MN)October 11, 2006

I've had no problem all summer propagating cuttings from my large Wandering Jew plant. In the past month, however, the parent plant has died. I think I overwatered it and it contracted a fungal infection. Having had to endure being moved indoors from the outdoor patio and living with less sunlight didn't help matters. I've been trying to salvage as many cuttings as possible and root them in water as I've always done. This time they sit for a week or two, the stems become mushy, and the cuttings wither and rot.

I'm worried the fungal infection that killed the mother has hitchhiked along to the cuttings. What can I do to save them? I still have a few smaller pots with healthy, rooted cuttings in them, but they are too few to repopulate the pot the original plant was in, and many are still not large enough to take decent cuttings from. I've heard that certain teas can act as anti-fungal agents. If I add a bit of chamomile tea to the water they're rooting in, would that help promote healthy rooting? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

The cuttings should have been/must be diped in a solution of dilute chlorox..... The fungus most likely contaminated the cuttings. Smaller cuttings can be rooted if use 0.1% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in soil & mist. Keep the rooted cuttings in GOOD light, keep moist, & lightly fertilize lightly every 2 weeks This will promote new growth & have more material to propagate later.

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 12:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trace00969

I took a couple broken cuttings from a girlfriend last week from a wandering jew, put them in water, and within a couple days they had roots, and then I put them in soil.....They seem to be doing alright now.

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 5:33PM
More Discussions
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
Easy Propagation Chamber
I make a little propagation chamber that is so easy,...
little_dani
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Portsmouth Lamp Post
Grandin Road
Textured Lines Rug 12' x 15' - MUSHROOM
$5,899.00 | Horchow
Batson Tiffany Style Filigree Bronze Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Barcelona Chair and Ottoman
IFN Modern
Small Natural River Stone Vessel Sink - Rose Cobble
Signature Hardware