Steps to refresh a veggie garden?

darkmorning(Zone 9 Central FL, US)April 14, 2014

I have a small veggie garden started in April 2012, my most recent planting were brussels sprouts, that took much longer than expected to mature and are still in the ground. I think it's too late to start a spring planting and the soil probably needs a good rest and replenishment too. So I'm planning on waiting until late summer/early fall to plant again.

I was thinking I would add partially decomposed compost to the existing soil and cover with plastic to let it finish breaking down over the summer. Does this seem like a good plan? I'm still somewhat new to gardening and tend to "wing it" more often than not. If there's a better place to ask this question, please let me know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenper(8)

I would do as you are planning but still have a few plants there. Not all veggie plants need a full growing season.

I mention this because a spot that doesn't have a plant is easy to forget it as a spot that you don't need to take care of. but in fact, you should still weed in this area as well as giving it the occasional moisture or exposure to rain, if you won't be watering it yourself.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Overgrown garden help
How can I remove these plants that seem to be at the...
court623
LARGE overgrown garden... what and when and how?
I saw a few posts similar to mine... bought a house,...
ScarlettAnne
Ding Yew
My parents have some old yew foundation hedges that...
edlincoln
Dogscaping
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have not been able to...
daydreambeliever
Rehabing an old lavarock and plastic sheeting landscaping nightma
I have an old landscaping bed in front of the house...
suestith
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™