Peppa donts .....LOL

ArmageddonAugust 25, 2012

this is my first year trying them out .... thanks to a great fella here on the garden web . I am very glad i put most of these guys in my test gardens with other mixed veggies also have a few in pots that will be overwintered but they Grow Fast & very large they was planted around the same time as some of my other plants and seem to be over towering them by 3ft & shading them out making the others not grow as well but i decided not to cut them back as i am very anxious to test these peppers with some rubs salsas & even pickled will have some of these seeds to share in the next couple weeks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ottawapepper

Armageddon, agreed, it's definitely a vigorous grower and it puts out a load of pods.

I'm not sure how you'll find it in rubs and salsas etc. I think its popularity pretty much hinges on pickling the peppers in a sweet brine.

Folks generally fall into two camps with pickled peppadew; those who love them and those who don't understand why people love them ;-) Personally I fall into the ? group.

I'm not sure if you got the seeds from me. I do have a copy cat brine recipe (the original is a proprietary closely guarded secret). If you'd like it send me an email.

Bill

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 10:23AM
peppernovice

I was amazed at how long these guys took to ripen! I had already harvested several super hots before I had my first red Peppadew. I was also surprised at the heat level. I was expecting little to no heat, and got close to what I get from my jalapenos. I have 3 plants, and my tallest is close to 5 and 1/2 feet.

Tim

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 1:05PM
ottawapepper

Wow Tim, Jalapeno heat? Strange, I found the half dozen pods I tasted raw had no heat.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 3:19PM
peppernovice

Interesting....here's a pic. What do you think would cause the extreme difference in heat? I do have one plant in a small pot and it dries out quickly. That stress could account for a small variance, but I wouldn't think that much.

Tim

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 4:13PM
ottawapepper

They look like Peppadews should. As for the heat, I was expecting them to have some from what I've read. I guess I just sampled the weak pods or I've eaten too many hots ;-)

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 5:33PM
lorabell NC(8)

My Peppa also are very mild, just a snippit of heat toward the stem. Also are taking forever to ripen, but I love the taste of them, the plants are humungus, and are a definite for next year. I'll be attempting to overwinter them as well. Thanks for a great pepper.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 8:32PM
austinnhanasmom(5 CO)

I have overwintered a plant for a few years - it tolerates total neglect in my basement.

It's also tolerated total neglect on my deck.

I need to transplant to new soil.

Mine are quite hot - perhaps from the lack of water.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Pepper Plant issue
I have some curling and deformation on some of my pepper...
Ryan Shea
potting peppers: ideal growing medium and container size
this will be my second year trying to grow hot peppers,...
tcleigh
have 3rd generation hot bell (jalepeno bell cross)-- seed swap
need bhut jolokia/ghost pepper immediately- it's getting...
greengrass12
Tip for burning hands from working with hot pepper
I'm sure this tip has been addressed but had to share...
utdeedee
Why did my Habaneros and Scotch Bonnets grow like this?
Good evening, I planted and have been growing for habanero,...
h1nsen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™