propagating a weeping willow..

whodaz(7)October 30, 2009

hello there..

I am trying to propagate a weeping willow.. I got a cutting from the mother tree then I put just a little bit of rooting hormone powder since these willows already have rooting hormone in them and placed the cutting inside a little pot. I have been watering it every day to keep the soil moist. how do I know if its alive and it not a dead stick that im watering?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
generator_00

Scrape the bark off in a spot and see if the wood looks green, if so it is alive. I have had the best luck by cutting off a young green branch either in fall or early spring and planting it directly into the ground where I want the willow to grow. Dig a hole with post hole diggers and plant about 2 feet of a 3 foot long branch into the ground with the tip of the branch pointing toward the sky. Backfill with amended dirt that will retain moisture. Then water it as needed. It will need a lot less water and care than in a pot and have a much better chance of living.

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 9:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wildforager(5b-WI)

I just put them in a bucket of water and in 2-3 weeks they have roots and they're ready to go in the ground.

-Little John

Bookmark   November 2, 2009 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™