How to transplant 6' elderberry bush/tree

botemout(5)October 1, 2009

So we were out for a walk last week and there by the side of the road, almost in front of our property, were a couple of bushes which I believe are elderberry (I took a couple of pictures just now - see link below). What luck! I've been wanting to plant some elderberry bushes and there they are.

However, I have no idea how to move them from their present location to my yard. Do I have to take cuttings? Should I wait until next spring to transplant? I have a couple of books on berries that I'll consult but if anyone has any insight ...

Thanks

JR

http://picasaweb.google.com/botemout/Elderberry#

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botemout(5)

So I just read in _Fruits and Berries for the Home Garden_ by Lewis Hill that elderberry can be propogated using root cuttings. However, he doesn't mention at what time of year I can do this. Could I do it now, in the fall? Or, as I suspect, would one not plant in the fall since there would be no growth. So should I wait until spring to do take root cuttings?

thanks

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 11:54PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

See "Propagation" section in the document linked below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Elderberry Research....

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 9:42AM
rain2fall(8/Oregon)

Interesting link, Brandon. You must be a professional nurseryman, from the wide variety of information you post.

I was surprised to see that root cuttings of elderberries are supposed to be taken in March! As a novice hobbyist, I though all root cuttings were made in the Fall.

I, too, love elderberries and the shrubs. I'll be taking cuttings and planting some native blue elderberries soon at my place as well.

Rain2Fall

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 4:27PM
botemout(5)

Well, as luck would have it, the county came by and cut down everything by the roads so that big elderberry bush is no more. I managed to grab the root ball though and planted some cuttings. I didn't know that I was supposed to take 'pencil size' roots so planted mostly smaller roots. Combined with the fact that they are fall planted, I don't have great hopes that anything will grow, but we'll see... thanks for the link to that great doc, brandon.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 3:07AM
cedarheartwood

I linked to the photos you took of your plant and have to say I'm not sure that it's an elderberry. I don't know what it is. Elderberry leaves are pinnately compound and arranged in pairs on opposite sides of the stem. Below is a link to a photo.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 3:54AM
mcbdz(8 Louisiana)

My guess would be poke weed. Try googling them. If so should have plenty from seeding.
Pattie

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 8:21AM
greenhummer(zone 5,Ohio)

That's not a elderberry in your picture.

Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 9:17AM
Nicholas_in_Houston

The plant in the link you posted, botemout, is definitely pokeweed, which toxic - do not eat it. Pokeweed and Elderberry do share some visual similarities. However the easiest way to tell them apart is the structure of the berry cluster.

Elderberry clusters look like this: http://clarysageherbarium.com/blog/elderberry-super-flu-fighter

Pokeweed berry clusters look like this: http://www.finegardening.com/item/12265/american-pokeweed

Cheers.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:12AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

hey nick.. this is a 4 year old post.. lol ...

winter must be tough and long.. for you to be this far back in the GW history of posts .. lol ..

yes its pokeweed.. seriously poisonous in every aspect... above ground.. underground.. berries.. and bird planted by the millions in my garden ... i hate them with the passion of a million burning suns ....

ken

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
grape vine cuttings in summer?
I have to prune some grapevines which are too vigorous....
loewenzahn
Fog propagation
I started propagating Muscadine Vines A few years ago....
Muscadines978
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™