Propagating Mats

ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)October 8, 2007

Greetings,

Have any of you used the following propagating mat?

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10001&langId=-1&division=FarmTek&productId=226279

Are they worth having? I am in the process of finishing my greenhouse and would like to start quite a few seeds and do some serious propagating this Spring in my gh. How warm will these mats keep your soil temperature? Will they also throw a bit of heat into the room? Are there better, less expensive, brands out there that you are using?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Have not used that specific mat But have used many different brands with temp control They have proved an invaluable addition to the green house propagation .... have used to germinate seed early in the year & speed propagation by cuttings all year round. The mat (any heating mat) will repay you many times over.

Bookmark   October 9, 2007 at 2:57PM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

Thank you George. I was contemplating between this propagating mat and the soil warming cables. The cables are much less expensive. Is there a bit difference or will the cables work as well as the mat?

Bookmark   October 9, 2007 at 11:31PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Just my thing perhaps but I found cables a bit of an annoyance to work with and mats were relatively convenient.

Bookmark   October 10, 2007 at 1:27PM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

Thank you Albert. So then they perform about the same. The mats are just less cumbersome?

Bookmark   October 10, 2007 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Fog propagation
I started propagating Muscadine Vines A few years ago....
Muscadines978
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™