Vinca cuttings-Will This Work?

nora_54(5)November 18, 2005

My son and DIL want to propagate vinca vine cuttings with the goal of planting them out in the spring. They took stem cuttings and are trying to get them to root first in water, in the house in front of their patio doors, where they get plenty of light, but not direct sunlight. Once the cuttings have grown roots, their plan is to plant them in soil and move them to the unheated basement. Should this work and do they need to use lamps, rooting hormone or special soil? It is a Michigan basement with no windows. Any other ideas to improve their chances of success? Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chaman(z7MD)

Vinca roots easily.Being winter hardy it should be O.K. to keep them in basement.Keep some of them in kitchen area where it will root little earlier.

Good Luck

Bookmark   November 18, 2005 at 12:34PM
karen_b(6a s.c. PA)

Too bad you're too far away I've been ripping it out, besides that it has been growing wild (invasive) in the woods.

Bookmark   November 22, 2005 at 3:42PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

they have michigan basements in IN???

i dont have specifics answers on vinca ... or growing anything in a MI basement ...

but you might get a little further if you define for our worldwide audience ... exactly what the parameters of a MI basement are ....

as i recall them .. they are fieldstone stacked rock basements barely holding 50 degrees all winter.... dank.... dark and low ventilation ...

is this a good atmosphere for propagation ... all you vinca pro's????

i would think it is too cold for fast propagation ....

i you probably need supplemental light .... of which i have no insight ...

good luck... ken

PS: they usually have the same smell as a bag of damp peat moss ... at least those are the basements i remember ....

Bookmark   November 23, 2005 at 12:37PM
Millie_36(Z6b MO)

Once rooted they should be fine, but will need light.

Bookmark   November 25, 2005 at 8:30AM
nora_54(5)

In their case the "Michigan" basement is stacked cut fieldstone (not the whole rock)-very beautiful, and dry. It is rather tall with adequate head clearance for my 6' tall son. Anyone have any idea on what type of lights they should use?

Thank you very much.

Bookmark   November 29, 2005 at 11:15AM
gardenpaws_VA(z7 NoVA)

I should think your average shop light would do just fine for this, but you'd need one that was rated for lower temps. I had a set that died prematurely due to being run at temps (unheated family room, getting down to around 45F. on the coldest nights) outside their preferred range.

Truth be told, the vinca will probably live, and root, even without light, but it will be awfully stretched by the time you put it out. The stuff lives amazingly long when confined in a black plastic bag!

Bookmark   December 4, 2005 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™