oak tree dilemma

roni_inor(7)May 28, 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to decide whether to remove an oak tree that is increasingly blocking sun from my vegetable garden. This is the only place I can put the garden, and it's one of my greatest pleasures. The tree was planted by the previous owner, so it can't be more than 10 years old. Cutting down a tree feels so unethical to me, though, and I'm wondering if I should just suck it up in the interests of nature! Can anyone lend perspectives, justifications to help me feel better about it, thoughts on whether planting trees elsewhere (and/or contributing to the arbor day foundation) 'makes up for it'?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tressa(SECA)

Could you thin the tree? It is so important to our/your environment. I don't want you to feel bad - but I don't think I could take a tree down - now maybe if it weren't an oak. Tell me if it is a native oak....if it's not I think I could change my mind....LOL

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 5:59PM
cearbhaill

I had probably 25 old and huge oaks on my property when I moved here in '07. Also there were some young, clearly "store bought" oaks planted in a stupid area.
I cut the young ones down without remorse.
I have also had to have two old oaks taken out because they were dead and I still mourned each one of them like an old friend.

So yes I could remove a young one but would need medication to just cut down a healthy old one.

Makes no sense, I know.

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 4:20PM
organic_ns(6a)

Cearbhaill,

What you are saying makes total sense to me. I moved to Nova Scotia in 2007 to an old farmstead with a lot of trees and I honestly didn't know one tree from another except some were big, some were small. I have since learned that some are really worth trying to preserve and some simply aren't. AND, if one is about to fall on your house in a bad storm, well it's got to go, and to weep is appropriate.

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 5:33PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

roni, if you're still out there, curious what you decided?

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 8:50AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Not sure what grows under oaks, but many plants love shade, and an oak will blanket the ground with mulch (falling leaves), so as long as the roots are plant friendly, might be ok to keep it.

I had a beautiful shade garden on one side of my house. THEN came the dreaded day the house sold, and the new neighbor took out the tree and ruined my eco-system!

Good luck whatever you decide! We took out some huge Eucalyptus trees threatening our house during high winds. Had to hire a company to do it.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
renovating a used to be garden
Hi, i need help in trying to restore a space of land...
shayshay836
New Home, Overrun Garden
Hi, my husband I just purchased a new house, a short...
bbkuo
How can I get rid of this thing???
Since we moved in to this (rental) house 3 years ago,...
emorems0
Rehabing an old lavarock and plastic sheeting landscaping nightma
I have an old landscaping bed in front of the house...
suestith
Ding Yew
My parents have some old yew foundation hedges that...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™