Grafted cutting vs. cutting

cariniSeptember 18, 2012

Hi: I understand what a grafted cutting is.

I just don't understand why anyone would want to go to the trouble of grafting a stick, when a cutting would do just as well???

Does a grated plumeria cutting have the same exact color as the mother plant it was cut from?

Or, does it take on the characteristics of the plant it has been grafted on?

simply put: why would I prefer to start a stick from a grated cutting?

thank you

Angie...

idigplumeria

for the love of plumeria

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

It shouldn't make much of a difference from the plant's perspective. It will bloom exactly as it was 'programed' to bloom -- like it's mother plant.

I suspect that growers who are adept at grafting (FC, for example) find that it's simply more cost-effective. Likely the plants take off much sooner than waiting around for 4-6 weeks for a cutting that may or may not root. I don't know.

I don't have a problem with grafted plants at all.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 1:03PM
beachplant(9b)

Grafting is very popular for those cultivars that are difficult to root. Or as Dave states for those who don`t want to wait on the plant to root.

Grafting plumeria, as other plants, has pros and cons, you can get mismatched grafts which restrict the growth of the tree, the graft takes over-this is fairly common in fruit trees, graft failure and other problems.

I have a friend who grafts about everything, I think he just likes grafting. I only have one grafted plumeria but no objection to them. I have several grafted citrus that do fine.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 2:42PM
jandey1(TX8)

Grafting is recommended for hard-to-root varieties, and those prone to black tip. The strong root stock of seedlings helps fussier plants to establish quickly and avoid some of the problems of a weaker root system.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 6:42PM
moonie_57

OR..... your beloved grafted plant could get blown over on a windy rainy day and get broken right at the graft site leaving you to scramble looking for just the right tape that may hold it together and maybe heal and when you can't find that right tape inside the house then you have to rush outside to the shop in the pouring rain getting soak and wet only to realize that the break wasn't very clean and you probably should just go ahead and cut it completely off and start it as a cutting.

But you don't have the heart just yet.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 6:44PM
printmaster1

Sometimes a grafted plant will bloom within the same year purchased, but rare. Of, six grafted plumeria purchased from FCN last year, none have bloomed yet. But, I have one Hurricane purchased in May of this year and bloomed in August.

Lonnie

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 1:01PM
the_first_kms2(8/9)

I think its the expediency of grafting that makes it attractive to the sellers. I would assume that putting a cutting on top of an established root ball is like going from an old carburator to fuel injection on your engine.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
more middle room
re worked some space in the middle of courtyard. used...
rox146
Waiting for spring
Most of my plants are starting to get leaves but I...
barb13_gw
what do you think of the callus?
The three on the left are hard and appear to be good...
plumeriai45
My Plumeria Tree After NE Flotrida Hard Freeze .
Hello gang; This plumeria has been outside all winter...
edzone9
I think I killed my plumeria...
I brought my two plants inside for the winter, and...
mitragorz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™