Garden make over

Reese87May 23, 2014

Hello! im having trouble creating a tropical garden look. Want to have depth and color. It is half shade/partial shade till about after 4 gets full sun. I have multiples of canna lilys, elephant ears, hibiscus, calla lilys, gerbera daisys, amaryllis, split leaf philodendron, hostas, giant white birds of paradise, normal birds of paradise, miniature rose bush, silver lady fern, iris, & daisys. Its what i own, that id like to be planted here. I just cant get things to look right.. I was left this garden, so theres an orange tree, avocado tree and a few elephant ears, and japanese aralia already established. I am willing to buy other plants if needed. & i cant measure the space cuz i cant find a measuring tape at the moment.. Any help is very appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Reese87

Heres another shot of the garden

This post was edited by Reese87 on Fri, May 23, 14 at 18:35

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 6:27PM
duluthinbloomz4

Being too far removed from your zone, I can't offer anything regarding tropical/tropical looking plants.

On first glance at your pictures, though, it seems all the planting is in a line - you can't get lush depth that way. I googled the images for tropical gardens and came away with the idea that most were very carefully planned "accidents" - which is no doubt the look you're trying to achieve. Mixtures of shape, texture, color all being layered with good effect.

Here is a link that might be useful: tropical garden images

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 12:50PM
MartinaCoach

Hi, I viewed your garden carefully and it doesn't look really bad. I even like the big space you have there. I think, it will only need a touch of creativity putting some colorful plants and flowers around to have more impact or rather be like more of a tropical paradise. Goodluck! I know you will be able to have a better one.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 2:25AM
Cathie3078(6b MA)

You have some great plants as a backbone. I used to live in your zone and one of the first things I did was establish a "living fence" with star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides). It will need strong support such as lattice but you will have an evergreen background for your tropicals with a delightful fragrance when it blooms. Once established, I pruned it heavily once a year to keep it vertical and contained.
Good luck!

If adding plants I would add more multiples for color (canna, hibiscus), height, and texture. Remember the rule of planting in odd-numbered triangles to add depth ((3-5-7-9). Perhaps a dwarf lily of the nile (agapanthus "Peter Pan") woven throughout will provide a low-maintenance filler.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Ideas for re-hab of isolated part of yard
Here's a photo of an isolated part of a friend's yard....
christin1665
2ft garden fence
Hello. We live in Chicago and in need of a 2ft tall...
KS_Chicago
Clearing a sloping garden area
OK, so here is my problem. I just moved into a new...
welshieinca
Newbies need help! Garden rehabilitation
Hello! We are Claudia and Ferran, we have just moved...
Undomie
Time to re-examine the front borders
Zone 6, nj, northern exposure, strong afternoon sun. Overview:...
tfitz1006
Sponsored Products
Simple Living Metal 3-tier Jardiniere
Overstock.com
Small Buff Leather Ottoman
$612.50 | Horchow
Lotus Flower Spinner
$34.99 | zulily
Campania International Small Right Facing Temple Foo Dog Cast Stone Garden Statu
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Garden Terrace Serving Set
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Runner: Crazy Horse Acorn 2' 1" x 7' 10"
Home Depot
Lithophane Luminaire Misty Meadows Lamp
$115.90 | Bellacor
International Caravan Valencia 4-tier 12-inch Wide Plant Shelf
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™