Evolvulus glomeratus Hawaiian Blue Eyes

ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5November 29, 2012

for years... i have had this in a hanging basket ... new plants every spring ... they dont quite make it thru 2 years ...

usually bring the pot in for winter ...

i suspect roots fill it entirely.. as i needs to be watered twice a day ...

i have never been able to root pieces ... google says softwood cuttings ...

i have a pot .. i have media.. and i have a source ...

whats your best suggestion for how to go about it.. so i can chuck momma out the door .. lol ...

plastic bag for greenhouse???

see link for the plant.. a precious blue in the garden ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Try soil layering as in: rough up the soil in a pot, remove the leaves where the limb touches the soil, dust with rooting hormone, cover with soil, secure with a hair pin wire, and keep it watered - they should root in about 2 weeks or so.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 1:11PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

at google .... i saw that they root in from branches laying on the soil surface ... but my plant.. is about 12 inches from the edge of the hanging pot ... and nothing above the pot.. is flexible enough to bend to the soil.. which is probably so root-choked.. i couldnt scratch the surface if i wanted ...

but you have inspired thought.. as to a second pot ... hmmm.. going to have to mull this out ... bobby pins.. a whole McGyver thing.. lol...

any other ideas??? .. i am willing to try multiple ways.. as i usually suggest.. experiment ...

ken

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 1:26PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Well, if it's pot-bound, why haven't you put it in a bigger pot? When you repot it, divide it and replant in separate pots.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 7:57AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

man kay.. you are just full of answers ... or something.. lol ..

i dont want a bigger HANGING BASKET ... because bigger wont fit indoors on the plant stand.. nor will bigger fit outdoors ... [it about shelf depth.. and hanging out into the room.. not side to side ]

what i think will work.. since i have a duplicate pot.. and space NEXT to the other.. is that i will set it next to the plant.. which reaches 8 to 10 inches past the basket ... and root it in.. and when it looks all set.. cut the umbilical.. and move on with life.. mine and its ...

thanks for the help ...

now.. it will probably take me weeks to actually do this.. so if anyone has any other ideas.. let me know ...

ken

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
Grafting methods
It's getting to be that time of year again and many...
clarkinks
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™