Mum Cuttings: How do you end up with full plants?

debndulcyNovember 4, 2010

I rooted mum cuttings again this year and as I look at the size of my resulting plants compared to those from nurseries, I find myself wondering why... They look really scraggly in comparison.

Is there something I'm not doing? After planting rooted pots (later fall or early spring) I clip them back (on the recommended schedule, though these never have much size to start with) through summer, and keep them up like all others... but the results just aren't great.

How can I do better with the effort I put into them?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boomantoo

debndulcy, The best thing you can do is just be patient. It's going to take a few years before your new plants will take off. You have to consider that you've just taken away your plants access to nutrients and it has to start all over just like a seed would. Look at how many roots are on the plants you buy, this doesn't happen overnight it takes a long time and a lot of man hours to get those plants looking that good.Then look at how few roots are on your cuttings. You've already done the hard part now just take good care of them for about 2 or 3 years they will be fine. Regular fertilizing and watering is the fastest way along with long hours of light. Long hours under lights will make the difference I'm sure. I have some hydrangea cuttings that I've been nursing for 2 years and they may finally be able to be put in the ground next year. I hope. I just stuck some mum cuttings about 3 or 4 weeks ago and still have my fingers crossed. Anyway Good Luck and just have fun with it.

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 5:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debndulcy

Thanks for the perspective, boomantoo. Maybe I don't have enough sun to bring newly started plants to their best, though nursery-bought ones come back year to year, beautifully full in the same garden areas. I was wondering if I should be fertilizing or 'fortifying' them in some way I'm missing.

Best of luck with you hydrangeas... I love growing them from cuttings, too, and they 'expand' and grow fuller, thicker root balls, stems and flowers by 3 years than my mums started the same way! Yep, it does take time and work! I keep trying to do what I do better, and make it the most worthwhile (as it sounds you do)!

Thanks again -

D.

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 11:57PM
More Discussions
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™