Suggestions needed for farmhouse ca. 1840

MollySTB(z5 OH)July 27, 2004

We have a small farmstead in Lorain County, Ohio that still has its original vernacular-style ca. 1840 house, post and beam barn and outbuildings. Up until yesterday the house was surrounded and overwhelmed by a huge yew hedge all the way around its perimeter. The hedge has come out; but what to replace it with?

I know that simple farmhouses like this didn't have "foundation plantings" per se, and it has a lovely quarried stone foundation, but it seems as though there should be something planted around or near at least part of it. I'm looking for ideas that are traditional but hopefully fairly low maintenance. The property already abounds in lilacs and fruit trees; the yard is surrounded by a very traditional (but messy) Osage Orange windbreak.

We are technically part of the Connecticut Western Reserve area in Ohio where New England styles tended to linger longer than they did in New England so what is applicable to an early 19th-century New England Greek Revival era home will probably look fine here too. The house is a white, two-story with the gable end facing the street and has a porch on the single-story ell. Your suggestions are appreciated, as are references to other gardens/houses to look at in this area of like vintage.

This is a wonderful forum; I've learned a great deal already just browsing past postings. Thank you all!

Cindy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saypoint(6b CT)

There's a earlier post on this forum that refers to farmhouse gardens from your period. If you go through some of the early posts, you'll see recommendations for books that will give you some great info on period gardens.

My house is from 1837, though not a farmhouse, and there were some posts about it, as well.

If you do a search on this forum for "nineteenth century" you'll turn up some of those discussions, so I won't repeat the info here.

Let us know what you learn, and share your ideas and plans with us!
Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   July 28, 2004 at 3:24PM
gladioli66_roadrunner_com

I just found this site and don't know how active postings are. I would love to hear how things turned out for the Molly and her 1840s house. I have just purchased an 1888 victorian farmhouse which we picked up turned 90degrees and sat down on a new foundation. I am just starting to plan a complete reno of the garden, as there is not much left to the original. It is in Lorain County, Ohio. The lot is 3/4 of an acre, long and narrow and at one narrow end borders a large lake. I don't really even know where to start with the planning so any help would be welcomed.

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 2:09PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Gladioli, the date of each entry is listed with the moniker of the author.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 12:39PM
pjaxson

sunflowers...those would be beautiful

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 11:40PM
More Discussions
A landscape story
Chapter I - Daughter and family were transfered to...
nandina
foundation plantings
I'm aware that the practice of using foundation plantings...
saypoint
New Home, Overrun Garden
Hi, my husband I just purchased a new house, a short...
bbkuo
Ding Yew
My parents have some old yew foundation hedges that...
edlincoln
Clearing a sloping garden area
OK, so here is my problem. I just moved into a new...
welshieinca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™