Trying to propogate Pussy Willow

etoja77November 23, 2012

Hi members, I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some help. Last spring I got a bunch of Pussy Willow branches and one of them grew a root in my vase. SO i decided to try to grow a tree out of it. I planted it in the pot, fertilized and watered it generously. New sprout grew from the root and several leaves grew. It was going well until recent weeks. All of the leaves are turning yellow and drying. I keep the tree in the pot indoors, it gets plenty of light and the temp in our house is pretty cool.

I appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

The willows generally known as Pussy Willows (several species) are bone hardy outdoor shrubs. They are also deciduous. So your plant needs to be outside and allowed to drop its leaves naturally in winter. I would place it outside somewhere relatively sheltered, since it's been inside so far, and forget about it until next spring. They can grow into very large shrubs and are not really a candidate for container growing, even outside. In the long term it needs to be planted in the soil. Once in the ground it will require plenty of moisture but no feeding.

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 5:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

welcome !!!!1

what flora said..

but it also research spider mites ...

bottom line.. it is NOT a houseplant ... and you will struggle wildly.. to make it into one ...

and of course.. being deciduous.. it will loose its leaves every year.. when the sun starts to decline ...i cant tell plant size.. nor pot size.. but it looks like that media.. might not be the best for a shrub.. rather than a house plant .... if you want to discuss that.. you could post a better picture of the whole ...

if you want to get it outside.. we need to know where you are.. as getting it outdoors.. for winter dormancy.. would involve 'hardening it off' .. to outdoor temps.. rather than just pitching it out the door ... lol .. but i bet even that would work ...

frankly.. you have to try hard to kill a PW ... and most likely.. last spring.. if you simply stuck the branches in mother earth.. some of them would have rooted.. with little or no care from you ....

you are loving this plant to death.. so what is the next step???? are you willing to let it be free .. to see if it comes back to you .. or do you want to look at a bare indoor plant all winter .. either choice is fine with me ... [though if you keep it indoors.. you are probably going to have to let it dry out pretty well.. while its leafless .. we dont want to rot the roots on a dormant shrub] ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
I'm Lazy--What can you root in plain old water???
Are there any perennials that you can just put in water...
love2weed
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Trying to propagate for the first time
Propagating is completely new to me. I have an astilbe...
Amy Biondolillo
Sponsored Products
Muted Gold Circle Dark Gold Tulip Table Lamp
$94.98 | Lamps Plus
Classic Brands Deluxe 8 in. Memory Foam Mattress - 411113-1150
$349.99 | Hayneedle
Serena & Lily Riviera Counter Stool
Serena & Lily
Compamia ISP052-TBL Crystal Polycarbonate Modern Dining Chair - Transparent Blac
$569.99 | Hayneedle
Midnight Blue Hamilton Hammock Chair with Wood Dowels
Fifthroom.com
Nelson | Ball - Criss Cross Lamp
$299.00 | YLighting
Serena & Lily Chevron Riviera Backless Barstool
Serena & Lily
Tri-Level Jug Fountain
SerenityHealth
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™