ficus lyrata cuttings

stogeoNovember 2, 2007

I have some clippings from a fiddle leaf fig/lyrata... I have them in water and I'm wondering if I'm wasting time. will they root this way?

I was given these by a coworker who pruned his back.

any tips?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

I have not been able to root this plant in water, or apply IBA (rooting hormone & sticking insoil. The only way I have had success is "air-layering"
Now that is me you may have better luck.....

Bookmark   November 3, 2007 at 9:37AM
iduloveplants

I took a leaf from my boss's ficus lyrata plant and stuck it in water. AFter 2 months with nothing happening, I dipped it in rooting hormone and stuck it in a mixture of potting soil and sand. I put it in a plastic bag and set the whole pot on a heating pad. Voila! In a few weeks I had a sizeable root ball growing. However, now, after months and months, nothing more has happened. I have a big green leaf with a big root ball. That's all. I was hoping for a plantlet or a stem or something else resembling a full-fledged plant!

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 10:54PM
elizabethsarah(6)

Hello! I recently found this site to help guide me propagate my new fiddle leaf.
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Publications/PM268.pdf

I'd like to branch out my 2 single stems in the pot I bought, but do not want to waste the tops. So I thought I'd try to root them and either keep them or give them away to friends/family once ready to go.

I know I need sphagnum moss and was hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a good brand and what quantity I need. I know in the directions I have, it says 2 handfuls but not sure how much that translates to when buying a bag. Also I read that there are thousands of species of sphagnum moss and don't know which to buy. I have a prime account on amazon to get free shipping. Can someone help me pick one?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_85_0?rh=n%3A2972638011%2Ck%3Asphagnum+moss%2Cp_85%3A2470955011&keywords=sphagnum+moss&ie=UTF8&qid=1365048689&rnid=2470954011

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 12:31AM
More Discussions
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Propagating Jujube Via Suckers
Good day, one of my Grandmother's Jujube trees is sending...
BahamaDan ZTropic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™