1907 house

doglady_gardener(#4, Iowa)August 6, 2008

I'd like to plant the front of my 1907 house with plants they might have used back then. Any ideas or where I could find some?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Although your house missed the Victorian Era by a tad - 1837-1901, I suspect plants beloved by the Victorians were still very much in wide use: Azalea, Holly, Hydrangea, Rose, Lilac, Forsythia, Andromeda, Barberry, Peony and Quince. Vines might include Clematis, Ivy, Wisteria, Morning Glory, and Honeysuckle.

Commonly planted perennials and annuals include: Delphinium, Aster, Alyssum, Chrysanthemum, Tulip, Pansy, Violet, Lavender, Daylily, Hosta and Yarrow. Fern collecting was popular. The Victorians liked to ornament their gardens with garden props that might include urns, statues, sculptures, gazing balls, birdbaths, sundials, benches, and ornate wrought iron fencing.

Edwardian (1901-10) style of gardening:
Edwardians sought a rural idyll to capture the romance of the countryside within the confines of the growing urban and suburban landscape. It was a period of prosperity and this was reflected in the exuberant gardening styles. Informal planting schemes were mixed with formal, structured landscaping. This included herbaceous borders with drifts of color, a la Gertrude Jekyll, and informal woodland planting schemes using native and exotic plants.

Bedding plants were avoided while pergolas, paths and garden buildings were highly desirable. Gardens would often have formal ponds with sunken gardens. The Arts and Crafts movement had an aversion to mass-produced products and gardens in this style would use locally crafted garden features, ornaments and materials.

The internet has a wealth of information on gardening and the desired types of plants during these time periods. Much would be easily available today - perhaps not the exact variety as the tendency is to produce "new and improved", but definitely in the spirit of...

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
LARGE overgrown garden... what and when and how?
I saw a few posts similar to mine... bought a house,...
ScarlettAnne
What is the slope requirement for back yard?
I have a small backyard that recently adding a patio....
steven219
renovate or decimate my garden
i am just awakened from a Lipitor coma and am energized...
richdonahue
How to "clean" the soil in my garden?
Hi, last year we got a couple of new flowers and i...
Gogol
Time to re-examine the front borders
Zone 6, nj, northern exposure, strong afternoon sun. Overview:...
tfitz1006
Sponsored Products
Cyan Design Provence Carriage House Ten-Light 36 Wide Chandelier
$870.00 | LuxeDecor
6 in. New Construction IC Airtight Housing 6
PLFixtures
Peking Handicraft Special Double Snake Pillow II
$80.00 | LuxeDecor
Savoy House Orsay Transitional Mini Pendant
1800Lighting
Trans Globe 4182 Post Lantern - 7.5W in. - 4182 VG
$62.51 | Hayneedle