When and how to propagate Ilex verticillata 'Winter Red'

madrone(VancIsl BC)December 22, 2007

When is the best time of year to try to propagate Winterberry or Ilex verticillata? What kind of cutting do you take and do you need bottom heat? What methods have worked most successfully for you? This is a fabulous plant for winter color and I would like to have a few more in spots visible from other windows. Do you need the male plant in close proximity or will the pollen be widely distributed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Any time from August to March. Use a tip cutting Apply 0.1 to 0.3 IBA (Rooting hormone) Stick in well drained soil & mist taking 40-80 days to root & 1.5 years to produce a 1 gal plant.

Bookmark   December 24, 2007 at 10:14AM
taxonomist(7b VA)

Anything will flourish in B.C.!!! I have had great success with rooting I. verticillata by taking cuttings in March, using Indole butanoic acid(0.3%, or Hormodin #3, and placing the rooting box upon a heating pad. The type of rooting medium seems not to be very important as long as it is well drained.
Substantial rooting was effected in about 8 weeks. The young plants were then potted in commercial ProMix, wetted with a dilute complete fertiliser solution,and kept in a warm, sunny site protected from the wind. These grew very rapidly throut the warm spring and summer and were ready to be placed in a permanent position the following March.

Bookmark   December 25, 2007 at 6:32PM
madrone(VancIsl BC)

Thank-you both for the response to my email. I shall take some cuttings in March and see what happens.
Anyone know how close the male plant needs to be for effective fertilization?

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 7:29PM
georgez5il(z5 IL)

as long as the wind pattern blows from one plant to another with the male up wind they can be 1000ft(+) apart otherwise on the same side of the building or 8-10 ft apart. One male can work for 8 female plants

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Clips or Tape
Hello. I have a question about grafting. Should I use...
tomatoman100
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Trying to propagate for the first time
Propagating is completely new to me. I have an astilbe...
Amy Biondolillo
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™