Rooting African Violets (and other things) is so easy!

little_dani(9, S. Tex Coast)December 29, 2005

This is the easiest method of rooting African Violets that I have ever used.

Supplies you will need:

styrofoam cup

plastic cup, big enough to hold the styrofoam cup

1/4 cup vermiculite

1/4 cup perlite

distilled water

You will need a styrofoam cup to start. Punch holes around the cup about 1 1/2" from the bottom, and punch 4 or 5 holes right around the bottom edge. The bottom holes are for watering, the top holes are for drainage.

Pour the vermiculite into the styrofoam cup. Top with the perlite.

Cut healthy leaves from a violet plant. Stick the stems into the perlite, with or without rooting hormone.

Pour a little distilled water into the plastic cup and set the styrofoam cup in the water. As water is absorbed by the vermiculite and perlite, the leaf cutting will be drawn down into the vermiculite.

Set the cups on a window sill where it gets filtered light but no direct sun.

Just keep it watered, but not soggy. In 3 or 4 weeks, you will see new little leaves emerging on top of the perlite. You can feed with half strength water soluable fertilizer when the leaves are a week or so old. Use your judgement on when to do this, but do not use full strength fertilizer.

When the root system is well grown, pot them up in a peat based mix, and put them where they get good light, but not direct sun.

I like to grow African violets to give as gifts. There is just something about seeing those little leaves pop out of that perlite.

This is a good project for kids too.

Janie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Binky(z5 WI)

Thanks so much for posting - especially with pictures. I've had almost no luck with propogation, but you've inspired me to try again.

Bookmark   December 29, 2005 at 9:48PM
nvigorated(8)

i am having trouble with my african violets. i have about 8 and they have very good leaves but i cant seem to get them to bloom. what am i doing wrong? any help would be appreciated. thank you

Bookmark   January 23, 2006 at 1:31AM
little_dani(9, S. Tex Coast)

I feed my violets everytime I water them. Just get a little bottle of violet food (liquid), and put the recommended amount of drops into a gallon of distilled water. I have city water, so I don't put it on my plants. If you have a well, just draw up a gallon of it and add the fertilizer.

Mine are blooming like crazy right now.

Good Luck!

Janie

Bookmark   January 23, 2006 at 10:13AM
winterflower

Your info is very thorough and helpful. (I haven't been on this site in a while- I just got your reply today!) I will try that method with my African violet.

Bookmark   February 18, 2007 at 3:02PM
cdx777

can i use the water where people use to fill there water jug or do i have to use distill water ????

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 11:40AM
little_dani(9, S. Tex Coast)

You can use that water I think.

Chlorine is the biggest offender, and I don't think that water has chlorine added to it. My friend has to use it, as she is allergic to chlorine in her tap water.

Good Luck!

Janie

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 7:33AM
jmcat(5)

You can also stick an AV leaf in a shallow dish of water until you get roots, and then put it in soil. When I last did this, I got many shoots off of each leaf, which I then planted separately in the little Dixie cups that you can buy.
-Jmcat

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™