Laying down black plastic for weed control

gillonrootsSeptember 23, 2007

My husband and I are away from our London home over the winter and return in the summer to a jungle. Before we leave this time, we have bought some black plastic to put over the back garden in hopes of killing off plant life completely so that we can start over next summer. We'd like any suggestions about how to go about this...can we leave a small area to collect the rain? ..and will it keep everything from growing?

Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patricianat

Do you want rain and sunlight ot make it grow or do you want to kill off the weeds? There are much better ways to do this but they do require some work but are much better for you and your garden in the long haul.

Bookmark   September 23, 2007 at 8:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nwnatural(zone 8 PNW)

Yes, you'll kill off lot's of stuff under the plastic. You'll still have to pull up some of the stubborn weeds that have turned albino under the dark cover. The longer you can leave it down (more then a year?) the better. Then heavily amend the soil with compost before you plant.

Word of caution: The plastic doesn't let any water through, so if your killing off weeds, say under a tree or some shrubbery, you may be doing drought damage to those plants as well.

Cheers.

Bookmark   September 25, 2007 at 11:54PM
More Discussions
2ft garden fence
Hello. We live in Chicago and in need of a 2ft tall...
KS_Chicago
Clay Problem
Hi Everybody Newby and desperate for a solution to...
richard92
Overwhelmed by inherited garden
I have an older established flower garden that I inherited...
belleduggan
Rehabing an old lavarock and plastic sheeting landscaping nightma
I have an old landscaping bed in front of the house...
suestith
Overgrown Garden- tips or hints?
We recently decided to tackle a 40x100 ft section of...
Bemhawk83
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™