Gafting Salix caprea onto Salix babylonica

wonderlexDecember 26, 2012

I live in central NJ and had a beautiful weeping willow (Salix babylonica)in my backyard before superstorm Sandy broke off the whole crown of the tree. As an experiment, I wanted to try grafting pussy willow (Salix caprea) onto the remaining stump.

Will it take? Has anyone tried it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I can't answer your specific question but I am pretty sure that your weeping willow will regrow vigorously, however badly damaged it is. And since weeping willow is potentially a largish tree while pussy willow is a large shrub, even if the latter takes as a graft, the original weeping willow will outgrow it. But there's no down side to just trying it out.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 9:55AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

you can google whether the trunk will accept the graft ...

and let me start by saying.. ALL EXPERIMENTING is good and fun ... what do you have to lose???

but one thing my gut tells me... most grafters dont fool with grafting onto large trunks ... and i dont know why ...

that said.. if you did NOT poison the stump with stump killer.. or 100% roundup [per label] .. then you tree is not dead ... and you will probably spend the next few years cursing it.. lol ...

other than for the experimenting.. i really do NOT know.. why you would want a pussy willow on a willow.. lol.. especially since PW roots rather freely ... why bother grafting.. which leads me back to the experiment ..

go for it

ken

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 3:04PM
wonderlex

Thank you for your comments!

A few days ago a friend gave me fresh pussy willow cuttings some of which I grafted onto the weeping willow :)) The remaining cuttings are in wet sand where I hope they root.

If the grafts take I will upload some pictures in the spring...

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 2:38PM
pebble09(8)

Hi,

Since u guys know about willows I thought I would butt in a question here. Salix caprea will always be upright? No way to train it into a weeping tree form?

pebbles

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 12:43AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Pebbles, since this is Wonderlex's thread and responses are emailed to him/her, and, since the subject of your question is not really directly related to this thread, I think it would be inappropriate to answer here. You might consider starting your own thread. Responses would go to you instead of Wonderlex and there would be a lot less confusion, now and later on, when people try to search for info.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
grape vine cuttings in summer?
I have to prune some grapevines which are too vigorous....
loewenzahn
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant (zone 9TX)
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™