Lemon grass propagation??

maricybele(8)December 23, 2007

I bought some lemon grass at the asian market. Do I trim it short then put one stalk in a big pot?

Thanks for the advice.

Lisa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

That should do it. I have a plant four feet by four feet that I bought 15 years ago in a four inch pot. I have moved it several times and given away a lot of starts over the years. My wife says she wants to use it in her cooking but never has, so at least I keep it available in case she ever does. Al

Bookmark   December 24, 2007 at 9:03AM
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Please excuse me but your question is not clear to me.... did the lemon grass you purchased have roots on it OR was it just some cut from a plant for use in cooking... If no roots attached then use it for cooking & order some seed or get a division of someone elses plant. I Have never been able to propagate this plant from cuttings.

Bookmark   December 24, 2007 at 10:09AM
calistoga_al

Of course George is correct. If the base of the bulb, containing the roots has been removed it will not grow. Of course lemon grass is not a bulb but an enlarged stem which is used for culinary purposes. As the enlarged portion of the stem is used in cooking, one would expect it to left intact. Al

Bookmark   December 25, 2007 at 10:44AM
malibu_rose(z10CA)

You will be surprised how easy it is to grow lemon grass. I purchased a couple of lemon grass from the Asian market for $.39 each and all I did was to stick them in soil, watered and lo and behold they started growing on their own and now are bushes! These I started did not have roots- they were the ones you just buy at the market and they were not the freshest ones and yet they grew!

Bookmark   December 26, 2007 at 2:52PM
linjoh(z4 WI)

I have successfully rooted lemon grass, but I don't know how deep to plant them. Do I cover just the roots, or do you bury an inch or so of the stem?

Thanks,
Linda

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 10:27AM
karyn1(7a)

I root lemon grass from stalks that I buy at the Asian market all the time. They do not need to have any roots and can even have part of the base cut off. As long as it has part of the base still attached it will root if you just stick it in a pot of moist soil. No rooting hormones or special treatment is necessary. Just keep the soil evenly moist.
Karyn

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 12:43AM
keble

At the beginning of this summer I stuck a lemon grass stalk in a glass of water. i'd bought it at the supermarket, it had no roots and was sealed in plastic and from the chilled produce section. Once the stalk had roots, I put it in a pot - it now has 9 stalks and is about 2 1/2 feet tall. It is outside but I will move it in for winter. Thing is, I'm not sure how to pull a root up for cooking....

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 2:16PM
karyn1(7a)

I just twist off a stalk (or more) when I need one. I only use the light/white part near the base for cooking.
Karyn

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 10:46PM
sankri

Greetings,
Yeap, I too do as what Karyn do. Great in chicken and mutton curry. The white part can be grated or smashed or blended....

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 12:14AM
11otis

I tried to grow lemon grass I bought from the Asian market but was never succesful. I will try it again and this time I will try to find one with the longest stem, not cut too close to the base. I do use a lot of lemon grass for cooking. Maybe I will add some peroxide to the water this time. Suggestions anyone?

Bookmark   December 8, 2008 at 2:24AM
karyn1(7a)

Don't root it in water. Just stick it in a pot of soil. I've never had a stalk not root.

Bookmark   December 12, 2008 at 10:32AM
chilli

How deep do you plant it? Just cover the roots or deeper?

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 9:24AM
calistoga_al

As long as the roots are in soil enough so the plant does not fall over it will grow. Al

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 9:33AM
jolj(7b/8a)

I think Lowes sale it in a 2X2 or 4X4 inch pot.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 12:34PM
Triscel(10a)

I purchased my stalks at an local Asian supermarket. I told the owner I planned on growing it at home and she helped me find the appropriate stalks (7). I put them in water for 2 weeks and now have many roots and some side shoots starting. I need to know how deep to plant it now.

Trish

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 5:32PM
lovestogarden

Just to be sure I understand, we can plant the stalk just an inch or so into the soil and it will grow?? Thanks!

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 6:56PM
Farmington

How deep do you plant them in ground or in containers?

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 8:17PM
gardenper(8)

Plant them so that they don't fall over, but if you need an actual number, then 2-3" underground should be fine. This is assuming the size similar to the large ones you are getting at the grocery store.

And yes, just this week, I saw Lowes had some in their plant inventory also.

To use it for cooking -- either cut it above the ground, cut into the ground to get a stalk separated from the bunch, or reach in and pull it apart.

You can also use the leaves if you are making a kind of soup, but they are not as strong for the flavor. Cut the leaves, fold them a few times, then use the end of the leaves to tie it together. Throw this clump into your cooking pot for the soup.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™