Royal Hustler Ivy

a1chemyst(7-Georgia)December 25, 2009

Ok well, a friend of mine got a 'Exotic Angels' ivy plant... thing. (im very eloquant (good at spelling too) with my words/ typing...) Anyhow, it's pretty big and i want some more.... just not in the same pot, so i was wondering if RH where as easy to root in water as some other ivy. Or is there a better method? Ive also been told that its not real 'ivy', persay, but something like that... well READ not heard.. you know some forums are unreliable. it looks similar to english ivy (which i would have prefered i know about it) but is slightly smaller... My brain is pretty jogged at the moment so im not as choosy in my words as i usually am, and perhaps a little more paranoid. I apologize and would like to say thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

The better method would be to take a 1 or 2 eye cutting. apply 0.1% IBA stick in well drained soil & mist.

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 11:34AM
a1chemyst(7-Georgia)

-question still unanswered

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 3:57PM
nandina(8b)

All plants in the Hedera (ivy) family root easily in water. I like to stretch a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the rooting container, poke holes in it and insert a cutting in each hole. This keeps the small tip cuttings from sliding down into the water. Or...you say you have a large plant. You could also stand small pots of soil around the large one and tip layer a growing stem into each pot using a bent piece of wire to keep them in contact with the soil. They should root quickly and you can then sever the new plants from the mother plant.

Bookmark   December 29, 2009 at 3:01PM
a1chemyst(7-Georgia)

oh ok, so what youre saying is put a tip of the growing branch/vine thing in a pot of soil and hack it when it roots? could i skip the middle man and just stick it in dirt NOT rooting horomones or rooting dirt or whatever you want to call it but dirt, like plain garden soil? i have my reasons why.... thanks

Bookmark   December 30, 2009 at 1:18PM
karyn1(7a)

If you are layering it which is what was described in the previous post rooting hormones aren't necessary. You can use what ever type of soil you want. Just make sure the stem (still attached to the main plant) remains in good contact with the soil. Once it's rooted you cut the stem between the mother and new plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: propagation by layering

Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™