plant rotation

comary(5)January 25, 2014

My favorite veggies to grow are tomato, eggplant & peppers -all in the same family. The best practice is to rotate the same family to be in the same spot every 3-4 years. That is not practical since a big portion of my garden every year is the same. I understand this is to avoid diseases as well as provide proper nutrients.

I have been using a well composted horse manure, alfalfa pellets & compost to fertilize and then hope for the best...which seems to work but I wonder if any of you have some wisdom /advice to share as I plan for 2014?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52_gw

Its one of those examples where theory meets practicality.
I try to 'rotate' by planting something different in each spot each year, but at the most, its a 3 year cycle, and many years, I plant things in the same beds over and over again because the bed conditions are ideal for that plant - say winter squash - it always gets planted in the bed where there's room for the vines to run.

I've found that most of the diseases and such can be avoided by heavy mulches so there isn't any splash up on the plants, and trying to water so the leaves don't get wet.

The only problem I've had is potatoes. Way too much disease in the soil to plant them successfully.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
When should I begin pruning last year's perennials?
Hello, all. I'm wondering when is the best time to...
robin44444
Spring Swap
Hi All, as discussed at the last spring swap, my sisters...
gjmancini
getting ready!
So I decided to remodel my seed starting this year....
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Something New in the Tomato Patch
Often, I have allowed a volunteer tomato to grow each...
digit
RMG - How do I do it -- Where do I find it thread!
Hi all, I just thought I'd start a thread here for...
Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™