plant rotation

comary(5)January 25, 2014

My favorite veggies to grow are tomato, eggplant & peppers -all in the same family. The best practice is to rotate the same family to be in the same spot every 3-4 years. That is not practical since a big portion of my garden every year is the same. I understand this is to avoid diseases as well as provide proper nutrients.

I have been using a well composted horse manure, alfalfa pellets & compost to fertilize and then hope for the best...which seems to work but I wonder if any of you have some wisdom /advice to share as I plan for 2014?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
david52 Zone 6

Its one of those examples where theory meets practicality.
I try to 'rotate' by planting something different in each spot each year, but at the most, its a 3 year cycle, and many years, I plant things in the same beds over and over again because the bed conditions are ideal for that plant - say winter squash - it always gets planted in the bed where there's room for the vines to run.

I've found that most of the diseases and such can be avoided by heavy mulches so there isn't any splash up on the plants, and trying to water so the leaves don't get wet.

The only problem I've had is potatoes. Way too much disease in the soil to plant them successfully.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
Online source for Jamesia americana?
I'm a central Washington / eastern Cascade Mountains...
Sagebrush Spring
Adding zone to your user name
First make sure you are logged into Houzz. Click on...
gjcore
Bare Root Roses
This week I saw a whole new rack of Bare Root Roses...
flowerridge
Howdy from Montana
Howdy to all you Rocky Mountain folks. . . I cant believe...
maidinmontana
Raspberry variety advice
I want to plant one of my sunniest garden beds to Raspberrys....
eatsivy
Sponsored Products
Adjustable Wall Wash by Kichler
$106.00 | Lumens
Artemide | Choose Table Lamp
YLiving.com
Duplo Dinamico Brushed Nickel 36-Inch Ceiling Fan with Mahogany Blades
Bellacor
Cordless Battery Operated Motion LED Light
Overstock.com
Fabbian | Beluga Color One Light Pendant - D57A11
$303.30 | YLighting
Jaipur Blue Garden Party Transitional Floral Pattern Wool/Silk Tufted Rug - RRC0
$91.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™