pruning plumeria for best result

anirafSeptember 17, 2007

Many of you are engaged in creating more plants with cuttings. Unfortunately due to limited space I find myself having to prune my 12 years old plant so I can fit it in my house for the winter. Will it resprout where it is cut? Do plumeria only branch on limbs that bloom? When is the best time to prune? I read that April is the best time to start cuttings, but is that the only time to prune? How much can I prune back my plumeria it has gotten very tall and leggy.

Wish I could keep my plants out all year. Small house, cold climate dilemma.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gracieanne

What most people do is shorten the plant by taking out mid section and grafting the top back on before it really gets big. You can root all winter long with a heat mat.Keep the main stalk and cut the arms off. Root those in the spring they will be back before you know it. I cut back a 10 ft tree ended up with 18 branches some 4 ft long rooted everyone. That was last fall there all doing good and putting off inflo's If you don't have a heat mat get one.

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 7:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikeod(Z9 FL)

Plumeria will sprout more branches from the cut end if you leave a few inches of stem. If you cut the branch at the point it emerges from the main trunk, it will not grow new branches. Natural branching only occurs on mature plants when it blooms. Seedlings less than a year or two old may branch without blooming. Really you can prune at any time of year. Most people prune in the spring so they can root the cut branches using natural heat. But you can root all year round with a heat mat and grow lights. Remember that the branch you cut will not bloom for probably two years. One year to develop new branches long enough to bloom, and one year for the blooms to occur. I try to selectively prune so I have some blooms on each plant every year. Then I prune the branch that bloomed and the branches I did the year before will bloom in the next cycle. That way I control the size and shape and still enjoy blooms every year.

The method described above can allow you to shorten a branch without losing bloom potential. You are basically cutting out part of the length of the branch and maintaining the tip. It does take a while for the grafted tip to "take" and some may fail, but that simply results in a pruned branch like my method. My experience with grafting is very limited, so I don't use that method.

Is your problem that the plant is too tall or too wide, or both?

Mike

Bookmark   September 18, 2007 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Taking A Bare Rooted Tree And Potting Into Gritty Mix
Hi Guys and Gals!! I received a Bare Rooted tree from...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Plumeria minimum temp
Hello, I wonder if I can bring plumeria outside when...
vtsir
Need advise please
I have 2 plumeria plants that are ~7 yrs old . They...
robinkaufman
Desert Rose looking nicely
Well I have had no inflo's on my plummies the past...
kevabear
Sponsored Products
Heavenly Succulent & Lichen Wreath
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Estrella Sapphire
Home Depot
Colorful Succulents Wreath
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Sanderson Prune Purple Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$876.60 | Bellacor
Artificial Double Potted Sago Palm Tree
Overstock.com
Les Prunes Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Boxwood Triple Ball Topiary Christmas Decor
$799.00 | FRONTGATE
Area Rug: Estrella2 Sapphire Blue 8' Round
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™