size of roses for judging

rebelannFebruary 11, 2008

How large does the rose bloom have to be in order to judge them? Last summer at our county fair a judge awarded a tight bud a place over a full bloom. Is there a size minimum? I need to know as soon as possible in order to publish the rule for next show!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_nj 6b/7a

rebelann, not all county fair judges are ARS-certified Rose Show Judges (Horticulture). And Garden Club rules are different than ARS judging rules. You can buy a copy of the Guidelines for Judging Roses from the ARS (you don't need to be a member to order the book).

Are you writing the schedule for an ARS show or some other type (Garden Club, Fair, etc.)?

To meet ARS guidelines, for an exhibition-form hybrid tea, grandiflora, miniature or mini-flora, the bloom should be 1/2 - 3/4 open, sepals down, with the center in a tight, high, spiral, fresh, with clear, clean, petals. For other types, the bloom should be open as is "indicative of the variety", again fresh, with clear, clean, petals.

There are terrific photos of winning rose show blooms at The Santa Clarita Valley Rose Society site.

Here is a link that might be useful: How Roses are Judged by Robert Martin

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 3:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_keil_cr Keil(Illinois z5)

Don't get me started about Judges at County Fairs. I have been robbed more times than I can think by the Garden Clubjudges! Judging was so bad at our Fair that they finally got a U of illinois Horticulture Judge. He knows his plants!
NEVER get a Master Gardner to judge flowers!

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
Recommendation for an Electric Sprayer???
I have a Mantis that has gone through 2 batteries and...
rosesbydesign
New Exhibitor needs advice
I have been searching high and low for really good...
frenchcuffs13
Miniflora Rose List, September 2012
MINIFLORA ROSE LIST, SEPTEMBER 2012 Miniflora listings...
Rgschwerdt
what are your bankers?
Since I lost a ton of roses last winter this spring...
seil zone 6b MI
STICKY: Check out the GardenWeb Calendar of Events!
Have you checked out what's happening on our GardenWeb...
gwannouncements
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™