Behold -- slow to establish? hard to grow?

california_suzanne(zn 9, No. Calif)March 28, 2004

I am a new exhibitor who fell in love with pictures of the yellow mini, Behold, as well as seeing beautiful arrangements made with it at several rose shows.

I purchased 2 plants over 18 months ago, and have yet to get a decent bloom! All the blooms I have gotten so far have no form and quickly open up to fully blown. They almost look like a big single or "loosely double" rose, rather than the beautiful spiral blooms the experts seem to grow. I have them in 5-gallon pots, and follow a regular program of light fertilizing. Miss Flippins, bought at the same time, took about a year to establish, but now I am getting nice blooms from her.

So my question is, does Behold take a long time to establish, need special pampering, or am I doing something wrong? It's coming up on 2 years now, and I am getting impatient!

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. --suzanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suzanne_ladyred(z10 So Cal)

Yes, Suzanne, Behold takes a long time to establish. It is only good in the spring, and only in California, and even then it blows very fast. There are many better yellow minis, but you can't beat the hot yellow color of Behold.

Bookmark   March 28, 2004 at 10:18PM
george_mander(5 to 6)

Hello two Suzanne's,

I have several mature plants since 2001.
Yes, it is hard to grow, slow to establish here on Canada's west coast as well and also not very winterhardy. The own root plants almost died with temperatures down to about 12degrees F. one night.

The one budded plant I made came through the winter OK. Also I had a hard time finding "good centre" blooms for exhibition. Eight out of ten blooms had a hole in the centre which seems typical for this variety. Yes, the colour is a very good yellow ! As Suzanne Horn writes above, it also blows very fast in only 75 to 80 F.

George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence

Bookmark   March 30, 2004 at 12:35AM
cindybergmann

Mine have been in the ground for two years and are thriving. They have tons of buds. Mine have not blown in the heat but it does get both early morning and mid-late afternoon partial shade. There is also no direct sun on their legs which are shaded by a ground cover rose. I'll letyou know how it does at our show next month.

Bookmark   March 30, 2004 at 10:09PM
peter_rabbit(z9 So. Calif.)

I grew 'Behold' in Dallas and it looked like 'My Sunshine'.

It is not bad in inland So. Calif. especially on its first flush in spring. Catch it right and run to the show. The judges love a good Behold. Its brilliant yellow color is like magnet to the eyes. It performs poorly in summer time.

It is superb in cool coastal California stretching from San Diego to San Francisco.

Bookmark   March 31, 2004 at 6:32PM
ContikiConnie(z10SoCal)

Our Beholds have been in the ground about 4 yrs and are
now doing wonderfully, but yes, they were slow the first
year. Behold is generally a sure winner on the royalty
tables here in Southern California. We, and several
others have won Queen with it.

Connie
Cool Coastal Long Beach

Bookmark   March 31, 2004 at 8:54PM
Paribear(10a)

Suz,

Trade all your Beholds in for some Erin Alonso's.

Bookmark   April 8, 2005 at 4:08AM
More Discussions
fyi
FYI, After posting May�s rose list, several...
Rgschwerdt
what are your bankers?
Since I lost a ton of roses last winter this spring...
seil zone 6b MI
ARS 2012 Official Rose List Supplement, May 2012
ARS 2012 OFFICIAL ROSE LIST SUPPLEMENT, MAY 2012 GW A...
Rgschwerdt
Miniflora Rose List, June, 2012
MINIFLORA ROSE LIST, JUNE 2012 Miniflora listings are...
Rgschwerdt
ARS 2012 Official Rose List Supplement, November 2012
ARS 2012 Official Rose List Supplement, NOVEMBER 2012 THIS...
Rgschwerdt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™