Help identifying bugs on my pepper plants

MBaxter34(7a)August 26, 2012

Hi,

Can anyone help me identify these insects? They mostly seem to hang out in groups (anywhere from five to a dozen) on my hot pepper plants. My peppers are pretty widely spaced (in containers, not in the ground) but I don't see these little guys on any of the plants between my hot peppers.

I did a google search, but didn't find anything helpful. But I'm sure that's because I don't have a good starting place.

Thank you for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Darylltx

They look sort of like carpenter ants, a member of the termite family. They usually get wings though when older, but those of yours look like the ones on google.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 12:21PM
tsheets(5)

I'm going to guess some sort of assassin bug (there are many types). If so, they're supposed to be good guys.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 12:43PM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Carpenter ants are ants. They are no more termites than any other type of ant. Ants come in different varieties: queen, drone, worker, soldier. Only the queens and drones ever get wings, and they all do so at the same time every year (usually late spring).

tsheets, they do look like true bugs (Heteroptera). Some are predators and some suck sap. Since these don't appear to be damaging the leaves, I'd assume predator and leave them be.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 2:10PM
Darylltx

Sorry DM, I should have said Carpenter ants are members along with others of wood destroying insects, which unlike termites that eat wood, Ants forage though wood on their way to nesting opportunities. And, yes, thanks for the info on the wings.....

Daryll

By Paul Fisette � � 2002

Carpenter ants and termites are wood-destroying insects that cost us billions of dollars every year. More than 90% of the homes in the US are wood framed. But even homes built of masonry and steel serve up delicious wood treats to these pests. Left unchecked, they systematically destroy our homes and valuable wood objects in them.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 5:29PM
woohooman

MBaxter:

I suck at identifying bugs/pests. The folks in the "pests and diseases" forum are pretty damn good at it though.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 4:09AM
MBaxter34(7a)

Thanks everyone! I did some image searching on google for assassin bugs. It does look like these guys are a nymph form of an assassin bug. Since they don't seem to be hurting the plants or my peppers any, I guess I'll just wait and watch them.

Thanks guys!

@woohooman - I did think of that, but it seems to be a less frequented forum, and since these bugs ONLY seem to be on my peppers I thought I'd start here first. :)

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 8:35AM
wisner_gw wisner

Do a search for leaf footed bug nymph also and compare. They look very similar to an assassin bug.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 12:14PM
tsheets(5)

They do look similar to the leaf footed bug nymphs. Hard to tell exactly what they are. If they are leaf footed bugs, I don't think you want them around.

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 12:45PM
woohooman

MBaxter:

You are correct... There is less traffic in that forum. Definitely a lot more lively in this one.

Kevin

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 12:57AM
More Discussions
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
Problems Germinating Seeds
Hi Everyone, I used to be able to germinate seeds....
newmexmike
Effect of Temperatures, Day Length, Rain/Moist'r on . Peppers.
Title speaks for itself, to some extent. But let's...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
Pepper plant wilting
Not sure what's going on here. This plant nearly died...
uncle_flip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™