Should I pot these cuttings?

moonie_57September 8, 2012

I have quite a few plastic bottles with cuttings rooting in them. None are -full- of roots so would these be okay to overwinter in the bottles and wait until spring to pot them up?

The one I'm really concerned about is Divine. It is in a smaller, 12 ounce bottle, only 4 inches deep. I was thinking about potting her in a 6 inch pot, or should I go ahead and put her in a gallon? OR wait until spring to do anything?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DelWH

I'm glad you asked that as I was about to ask the same thing. Mine are still rooting so chances are by October or November they may have roots like that. Right now, they are just starting to grow leaves or at least have shiny tips.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 7:14PM
moonie_57

Are those the cuttings from Derrick? The ones I got from him will stay in the bottles until next spring unless they do something miraculous! LOL

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 8:28PM
DelWH

The ones leafing out and shiny tips are the ones I got from Aloha. They've been in the bottles for 4 weeks now. No visible roots yet, but I don't touch them or pick them up to see. I have them in 5 gallon pots, 4 bottles to pot. However, the ones I got from Derrick have only been in the bottles for a week---and I just ordered 12 more. LOL I'm figuring doing the heat mat for them. I have a room with sliding glass doors facing south so they would get sun daily (at least when the morning overcast clear up). Of course, here is SoCal we still have maybe a couple more months of 70 and 80 degree temps so they may just get started before having to bring them in. Trying to get a jump on next spring. :)

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:38PM
the_first_kms2(8/9)

In my weather I would pot the one in the picture in a 2 quart black pot. Then it would go into a 1 gallon pot by the following june and probably a two gallon by this time next year.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 10:33PM
moonie_57

k - thanks. I felt like it should be potted so I'm going to do that tomorrow.

Del - the weather has me somewhat confused. I'm sure it's just me, but it seems like signs of fall is coming sooner than normal. Even if we have cool weather, at Thanksgiving we are usually still wearing summer clothes.

So yeah, mine may need to be potted by then, too. :)

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Frangipani Fading?
So 3 of my frangipani's are doing this badly on the...
archades
plumeria not flowering
A friend of mine has a plumeria which has never flowered....
annie_____
Are you Oklahoma boys okay?
Been watching the weather out your way. Mike, Robert,...
moonie_57
My seed pod broke off ... Help
My seed pod that had been growing/maturing for the...
cwgrinnell
New to plumerias--Rooting help, please!
Hi! I potted this cutting about 3 weeks ago (at that...
olly805
Sponsored Products
Prague Double-Tiered Outdoor Side Table - Black, 18" Round, Patio Furniture
$549.00 | FRONTGATE
Crystal Nouveau Three-Light Bath Fixture
$250.00 | Bellacor
Homelegance Archstone 5 Piece Counter Height Dining Room Set w/ Black Chairs
Beyond Stores
Home Decorators Area Rug: Standard Flokati Hot Pink 1' 10" x 2' 10"
$39.00 | Home Depot
Finland Kitchen Cart - 83644
$199.99 | Hayneedle