Newbie question on rose bloom cycles

Cindy_WA_6(PNW)May 12, 2004

I asked this question on the general rose forum. I was informed this would be the place to ask. I am 22 days from an open garden day at my home. My roses are now starting to show color in the buds. Some roses, like the rugosas, climbers, and some miniatures are blooming. What should or could I do to keep my roses from being all bloomed out by June 5th. That is normally when our roses peek. But alas the weather has warmed up early here this year in South Eastern Washington. Maybe it is too late to do anything? I was curious as to the number of days it would take the various roses to cycle through there bloom period?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron_gregory(z10 So.Ca. Inld)

For HT's if you are seeing color and the sepals are not down you have maybe two to three weeks before the bloom is fully open, of course this depends alot on the weather and the variety. Usually the smaller petal count roses will open faster and roses with 45+ petals will take longer.

Bookmark   May 13, 2004 at 11:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cindy_WA_6(PNW)

This last week the weather has cooled down, and the roses have also slowed down. I will go check on the sepal's stage. Interesting! This is the kind of info I was looking for. I was told perhaps that the Rose Exhibitors had some detailed info on bloom cycles from another forum. I must admit I have been growing roses for over fifteen years, and have hung out with the local rose society mostly in the summer when they are doing garden tours, or if they have a special speaker in. But the exhibiting end of things has never interested me. Now with my garden going to be on public display, I am all of a sudden very interested in how well my roses will look at a certain time. :)

Bookmark   May 14, 2004 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
Let's feed them
Something I've learned about roses over the past 35+...
ken-n.ga.mts
Recommendation for an Electric Sprayer???
I have a Mantis that has gone through 2 batteries and...
rosesbydesign
ARS 2012 Official Rose List Supplement, June 2012
ARS 2012 OFFICIAL ROSE LIST SUPPLEMENT, JUNE 2012 By...
Rgschwerdt
Miniflora Rose List, September 2012
MINIFLORA ROSE LIST, SEPTEMBER 2012 Miniflora listings...
Rgschwerdt
GardenWeb needs your feedback!
Hi everyone, As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing...
gwannouncements
Sponsored Products
Marina Floating Thermometer - 11200
$17.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Net Trap (Fine Mesh) - 10934
$20.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Zeo-Carb - 10 oz. - 11301
$19.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Background - 12 in. Dinosaur - 11708
$84.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Multi-Vac Battery Powered Cleaner - 11004
$41.99 | Hayneedle