New to the Grand Valley

katied55791January 16, 2014

I am new to this region of the country. I want to build a new vegetable garden. I am told by the locals that most new gardens fail because the soil cannot/will not support it

OK...I am prepared to dig out the area first and re-fill with proper soil, etc.

But...just how deep do I have to go?

This whole area is what is called the high desert. It seems to be mostly rock and sand. I guess I don't have to worry about it being "well-drained"...but..any and all advice to this newbie will be very welcome.

thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gjshawk(6)

I, too, am a Grand Valley resident. I have found gardening success with raised beds and a growing medium called Mel's Mix. I discovered it last year when I found a book on Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. I have tried regular in-the-ground gardening, where I had a prolific crop of weeds, straw bale gardening, which is water intensive but works, and now square foot gardening. I like the square foot method the best. The raised beds have their own soil mix so your ground soil doesn't matter.

If you are planting a huge garden then the square foot method might get pricey. Go to the square foot gardening forum on this site for more information. Welcome to the Grand Valley. Its a pretty great place to live, I think.
Grant

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 8:07PM
jaliranchr(z5 EC CO)

Welcome to Colorado and the RMG family, katied!

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 8:52PM
chellers

I am on the front range but also created raised beds and just tilled the ground underneath and then added soil from a garden center on top. Bought in bulk, so it was a little cheaper than plastic bags of soil from Lowes or somewhere.

Welcome to Colorado!

Michelle

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 7:00AM
digit(ID/WA)

I don't believe that grapes require a very fertile soil but your area of Colorado is known for vineyards.

There are also orchards.

A conversation with the folks at your local Cooperative Extension office may be a wise thing to do.

Best of Luck! And yes, Welcome to RMG!

Steve

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:20AM
david52_gw

High desert gardener here as well. Probably the best trick is to become a fanatic on adding organic matter to your soil - compost, mulch, grass clippings, manures, and so on.

Give yourself a 3 year time frame to get the soil built up. In the mean time, raised beds, purchased soil, & sq ft gardening if you can afford it.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
Like to See What is Happening
... in Rocky Mountain weather compared to "normals." Choose...
digit
I could build that!
Well, why not ? No, that floor isn't sloping. There's...
digit
Crops That Can Thrive At Lower Temps
Hey gardening geniuses.... glad to see most of us made...
garnergarden
The opening bell has rung
bell peppers? No, not this year, but several hot's! We've...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
When should I begin pruning last year's perennials?
Hello, all. I'm wondering when is the best time to...
robin44444
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™