Had a good show today!

seil zone 6b MIJune 11, 2011

The Detroit Rose Society show was today. Weather's been awful all week, of course. 3 days of record temps in the high 90's early in the week and then, in 24 hours, Thursday our high was 56, a record low! Which caused storms with high winds and hail, etc, and played havoc on my roses. Never the less at 5:00 am I went out and gleaned the few things that were even half way presentable to take to the show.

I've been emailing the show chair since May for a copy of the show schedule so I could find out what the themes were for the arrangement classes...she finally emailed it to me last night! Ha, I guess she figured better late than never. Well I'd managed to horn swaggle a copy on Wed. night from another member of my society who was going to be judging the show so I was already working on ideas for my arrangement. I've done Oriental and Traditional arrangements before so I wanted to try a Modern one this time. The theme was "Pink...is my new obsession!" and this is what I came up with.

I got a Blue ribbon! 91 out of 100 pts. and only missed the Artist Award by 2 pts.! I need to work on my scale. The niches are 36 inches tall and I can never seem to make something big enough to fill all that space.

I also won my first Dowager Queen!

With Honorine de Brabant.

I had 14 horticultural entries and the arrangement and I had 6 blue, 4 red, and 4 yellow ribbons! I'm very pleased with those results considering how dismal I felt this morning looking at the hodge podge of wet roses I'd cut.

Next week, Friday (yes Friday, an odd day to start a show) is our Grosse Pointe/Metro show. Metro's show is usually that Saturday after ours and makes for a very long tiring weekend. But they lost their venue this year so we decided to do a joint show. Should be a really good turn out...weather permitting...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rgschwerdt(z5aillinois)

Seil,
Congradulations on your arragement. For 'Honorine de Brabant' as Dowager Queen, it has no date or listed in ARS publications with (**) as eligiable for DQ. Checked my 'R. gallica versicolor' in my garden, and it is very similar looking to 'Honorine de Brabant'.

Please don't think I want to bust your balloon, but as indicated there are shows comning up next week and you would not like to be DQ. Give a CR's in your district a call for a positive ID.Be safe, not sorry.
Good Luck,
Ron

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 3:07PM
seil zone 6b MI

Thanks, Ron! I'll check it out. I don't know where I got it from but I have a date of 1840 listed in my rose inventory. I will have to change that, thanks!

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 9:06PM
view1ny NY 6-7

Congrats, seil. Your roses look gorgeous!

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 11:12PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Congratulations. Your roses and arrangements are lovely. I've never been to a rose show, so I found this information very interesting.

Kate

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 1:18PM
seil zone 6b MI

Thanks View and Kate!

Kate, I know there are rose societies in KS. Definitely look one up and go to a show! Win or lose it's so much fun! And you get to meet a lot of other people who LOVE to talk about ROSES. And they don't roll their eyes at you when the subject comes up like my friends and relatives do now, lol. You also see so many new and different roses and can learn a ton.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 5:23PM
bouquet_kansas(z6Ks)

Congratulations seil!!!!!!!!!!!!!
your entries are wonderful.
i have not entered a rose show specifically, but have been to one in wichita ks and it was so much fun to see such beautiful roses and arrangements, not to mention the fragrance!
i have entered flowers in our state fair for many years and enjoy meeting fellow gardeners again each year and seeing other people getting interested in growing flowers.
carol

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Greater Gwinnett Fall Rose Show
October 11th, Buford, Georgia. If you grow/exhibit...
buford
GardenWeb needs your feedback!
Hi everyone, As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing...
gwannouncements
exhibitors garden
It's been a LONG time since I've posted anything on...
ken-n.ga.mts
Miniflora Rose List, September 2012
MINIFLORA ROSE LIST, SEPTEMBER 2012 Miniflora listings...
Rgschwerdt
Johnny Becnel's Website
Calvin Boutte told me that they are in the process...
kokosrose
Sponsored Products
Atlantis Titanium Two-Light Small LED Outdoor Wall Light
$439.00 | Bellacor
Hammary Hidden Treasures 4 Drawer Chest - Rustic - 090-527
$705.00 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Area Rug: Governor Blue 4' 6" x 6' 6" Oval
Home Depot
Plymouth Blacksmith Two-Light Wall Mounted Bath Fixture with Sand Blasted Alabas
$100.00 | Bellacor
Custom Leathercraft 48 Pocket Bucket Pockets - 2751-5022
$26.98 | Hayneedle
French Tapis Beige and Dark Red Rectangular: 2 Ft. In. x 3 Ft. In. Accent Rug
$49.50 | Bellacor
Area Rug: Viseu Jet Black 9' x 13'
Home Depot
Illumine Lamps 28.5 in. Antique Gold Table Lamp CLI-LS491248
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™