Cool Summer Exhibition Roses

bigrosedad(SF CA z10 hot2)June 9, 2005

Hi-- Since my heat index is only 1 to 2, I'm looking for suggestions for exhibition hybrid teas that don't need a lot of heat to do well. I've won most often with Kardinal, Lynn Anderson, Leann Rimes, Signature, Secret and Pristine. The orange Kardinal sport Maharishi shows great promise. Anyone know if that is the same rose as "Orange Kardinal"? Also, a few years back I remember that a pink sport of Kardinal was on the cover of American Rose Magizine. Anyone know who discovered it, what it is called and if it is available? Although hybrid teas are my favorite, I've won mini queen, dowager, victorian, classic and modern shrub and both floribundas far, far more often than queen. Figures, doesn't it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hundredpetals(z9 SoCal)

I was hoping someone more seasoned might have answered your question, but I'll share what little I know. First, I do know that Maharishi is Orange Kardinal, to be shown as Orange Kardinal.

As for roses that may do well in cool summer areas, that's not my forte as we get 100+ heatwaves. But it seems your fall weather is probably more pertinent than your summers. You just need to survive whatever type of summer you have and gear up for the fall show season. That being said, it seems like Vetgeran's Honor, Dublin and Gemini are missing from your line up -- though perhaps you grow them and it does not prefer your micro-climate. My non-exhibiting sister grows spectacularly the climber Don Juan and the floribunda Black Jade in the bay area.

Now if your question is what blooms throughout the summer, for me it has been the English rose Molineux and Abraham Darby, the floribunda Lavaglut and trumpeter, the polyantha Marie Pavie and La Marne, and the HT Lagerfeld. It also looks like my new Black Baccara is going to be an all summer bloom machine.

Good luck.

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Let's feed them
Something I've learned about roses over the past 35+...
ken-n.ga.mts
Arrangements
Does anyone also do arrangements? I've always wanted...
buford
Recommendation for an Electric Sprayer???
I have a Mantis that has gone through 2 batteries and...
rosesbydesign
ARS 2012 Official Rose List Supplement, November 2012
ARS 2012 Official Rose List Supplement, NOVEMBER 2012 THIS...
Rgschwerdt
fyi
FYI, After posting May�s rose list, several...
Rgschwerdt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™