Your favorite pepper under ~50,000 SHU

brian6464(4a)August 11, 2014

My wife has complained that I way too many hot/super hot peppers (I do), so I want to start planning for some plants/fruits to appease her next year.

Since SHU can be subjective, I'm just looking for ideas on peppers that generally range from sweet to less than 50,000 SHU.

I like growing varieties that are uncommon and not found at your local big box nursery, so something other than your standard Bell and Jalapeno pepper.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Serrano, Fresno, Anaheim, Poblano, Cubanelle ...

Oh wait, those are available at big boxes.

Dennis

P.S. I have to put in a plug for Lemon Drop, or any of the C.baccatums. Very rewarding and most are not all that hot.

This post was edited by DMForcier on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 17:33

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 1:00PM
kuvaszlvr

Beaver Dam, hot lemon, chocolate cherry, hot portugal, kung pao, Mariachi, Pimiento de padron, tiburon, Biker Billy Jalapeno, Hungarian hot wax.
Pam

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 1:08PM
jcav8ter

Shishito. Super mild and great tasting.

John

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 1:40PM
vedabeeps

Pimiento de Padron are by far our favorite not-hot, we can't get enough of them. I'm adding Jimmy Nardello, Feherozon Paprika and hopefully Aleppo to next season's list to round out the flavor profiles.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 2:47PM
kuvaszlvr

Yep I agree... sadly mine have gone a bit dormant. I have been gathering Padron's twice a week for frying up, but not for awhile. :-( I am growing Aleppo next year too, can't wait to try it.

People rave about Shishito, but from what I have seen a read to me it sounds and looks just like a padron. Anyone grow both of them together? I'd be curious to hear comparisons.

Pam

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 4:03PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I also like mild ones. I am growing the following:

-- Cubanelle, Chilaca, Fresno, Hungarian HW, Jalapeno, Serrano, Bishop's Crown (just budding), Manzano

no heat ones:
Pepperoncini, Gypsy, Shishito, Anaheim,

Medium Heat:
Habs, Lemon Drop, Thai Hot, Chinese multi color,

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 4:19PM
jutsFL(9b (Orlando))

+1 for Fresno

Jay

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 4:55PM
esox07 (4b)

Hot Hungarian Wax.
Bruce

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 5:15PM
judo_and_peppers(Tampa FL)

I just ate my first starfish/bishops crown/balloon pepper/ aji-whatever. that pepper has so many names! but holy crap it's tasty. almost no heat to speak of(I cut out the seeds though, so the heat may lie in there), but really really super tasty.

I've got a solid crop of aji limon pods on the plant. I am very excited to see how those taste.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 10:20PM
brian6464(4a)

Judo: I also have a real nice crop of Aji Limon, Aji Cito and Starfish peppers. My first two Lemons turned yellow yesterday. I probably have 150 peps on the 4 plants (Starfish, Aji Limon and 2 Aji Cito). Looking forward to cooking with them.

My wife thinks anything over 30,000 SHU is too hot, but I'm working on her.

The seeds I already have and did not plant this year:

Bishops Crown
Fresno
Kung Pau Hot
Guatemalan Jalapeno
Chimayo
Cherry Large Hot
Big Jim Hot
Peppadew
Santa Fe Grande
Corno Di Toro
Crunch Sweet Orange

I'll also save seeds from my Hot Lemon's, Aji Cito, Friariello, Giant Aconcagua, Fish, Hot Portugal and Sheepnose.

If anyone is interested in any of these and can provide something different, maybe we can work a trade.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 11:22PM
scott123456(5)

I love golden cayennes for their flavor and a heat level where I can eat multiple at a time. It was probably my favorite overall pepper. However, I tried my first aji limon the other day and I think its better by a fair margin (similar heat, more of the same flavor). I will continue to grow both.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 1:59AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

RE: Your favorite pepper under ~50,000 SHU

%%%%%%%%%%%

my kind of peppers for daily fresh eating, in salads, salsa, sandwich , omelet , on the grill, or just nibbling in the garden.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 2:40AM
kuvaszlvr

scott, I love golden cayennes too, they are one of my favorites. Unfortunately my plant isn't doing that well this year, it was good enough to get seeds from, but that has been about the extent of it, I only have 3 fruit on it now.

Also, jmho I'd go with Mariachi over Santa Fe Grande. Although Mariachi is a hybrid Santa Fe Grande, it produces much bigger fruit and is extremely prolific, I'm buried right now. and they are really flavorful, just chop them up and toss them into a dish, they work with almost everything.

I just made sauce this last weekend with my Aji Limons, I didn't use the vinegar like the recipe called for (heck, I didn't follow the recipe at all). I used lemon juice, aji limons, some olive oil, and honey. Really turned out good. Now to figure out what to use it on.

Pam

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 8:14AM
kuvaszlvr

Hey Judo, does the starfish taste like a hab? I have tried and tried but I just don't like the flavor of the habs. In fact last night I picked a few peppers to put some cheese in and broil, I figured, heck, I'll grab an aji dulce and just try one again. when I sat down to eat it and the aroma hit me and my first thought was, I am going to throw up. I ate it, didn't throw up, but... I just don't like the flavor and honestly I give up trying to learn to like it.
Pam

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 7:06PM
kuvaszlvr

Ps, I was out picking some fruit earlier and I picked a Mariachi and a Santa Fe Grande, thought I'd post a pic of them to compare, the Mariachi is the big one on the right.

Pam

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 7:12PM

I don't think the starfish tastes like a hab at all. in my personal opinion it tastes more tabasco-ish but sweeter. I'm trying to remember it. heck I'll go eat another one and report back tomorrow.

personally I like the hab flavor, but did not care for the flavor of the bonnie "worlds hottest hab" at all.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 8:13PM
kuvaszlvr

I know, I'm such a weirdo, everyone loves the flavor of habs... except me. I took one of my aji dulces to the office for a coworker, she loved it. I told her it looks like she's going to be getting all of my aji dulces. ;-)
Pam

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 8:36PM
scott123456(5)

Interesting Pam, my sante fe grandes have gotten much bigger. They start like the ones on the left of your picture but get as big or bigger than the ones on the right of your picture before they start changing color. I love them for picking. I like to wait until one or two get completely ripe and then pick the entire plant, so I have some of every maturation to make pickles. Maybe I'll have to give the Mariachi a try as well.

This post was edited by scott123456 on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 23:05

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 10:36PM
john11840(z6/CT)

I would add Rain Forest. Very citrusy, Prolific and easy to raise. IMO, some mentioned about are medium hot, i.e. Serrano & Biker Billy.
John A

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:12AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

> "did not care for the flavor of the bonnie "worlds hottest hab" at all."

This year's? (orange hab-like pods) or previous years? (yellow fatalii)

Dennis

I typically am not a big fan of the "hab flavor", but I rather like this year's "worlds hottest".

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 12:10PM
sjetski(6b NJ)

It's hard for me to pick a favorite, it's more of a mood thing for me, but here's a few favorites in no particular order:

Red ripe Jalapeno
Aji Chanca Yellow.
Hot Banana
Serrano
Certain chinense / habs, the milder flavored ones.

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 22:38

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:25PM

"This year's? (orange hab-like pods) or previous years? (yellow fatalii) "

the ones I grew last year. kinda battery acid like taste.

with that said, I am not a very good person to ask about what does and doesn't count as hab flavor.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 12:28AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Yeah, me neither. The only "real" habs I've grown are the chocolate variety, and those were from another planet. (HOT?! Holy Moly!)

Dennis

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 1:41PM
siouxzin

I am liking the flavor of my Bulgarian Carrot
My only issue is that the skin is a bit thick and tough.

I recently dried some with a few other varieties and made a pepper shake mix. mmmmm

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
Pepper Plant Wilting at Night
Hi All, My plant has been growing lovely, but at night...
salevene
My first kinda hot
I believe this is a Mako Akokasrade. Its about 2.5...
peppers_galore
Possible NuMex Halloween Mutation
So this year I broke out one of my dried NuMex Halloween...
Edymnion
Did my heater fail?
I am not sure what happened yesterday the where fine....
T S
have 3rd generation hot bell (jalepeno bell cross)-- seed swap
need bhut jolokia/ghost pepper immediately- it's getting...
greengrass12
Sponsored Products
Splendorest Angel Soft 220 TC Cotton Down Alternative Standard-size Pillows (Set
Overstock.com
Eurofase Satin Nickel Square Decorative Trim
Euro Style Lighting
Traditional Vertical Radiator Heater Cast Iron White 71 x 7 & Brackets
Hudson Reed
ALFI AB503 23 in. Single Basin Farmhouse Kitchen Sink - AB503-W
$499.00 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Surya Rugs Somerset Bay Powder Blue 2 ft. 6 in. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Teddies Duo Canvas Wall Art - 28W x 20H in. - 40-769
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Jute Area Rug: Woolen Jute Black 5' 6" x 8' 6"
Home Depot
Sunpan Lucille Bonded Leather Dining Chair
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™